Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd, it was working last summer fine. Havent used it since but now that its getting hot here in so cali im definitely gonna need it. Any other reason it wont blow cold besides lack of r-134?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Wierd, it was working last summer fine. Havent used it since but now that its getting hot here in so cali im definitely gonna need it. Any other reason it wont blow cold besides lack of r-134?
Factory fill was R12, not R134a uless the system was retrofitted.

If it's not lack of R12/R134, it's electrical. Is the compressor clutch operational? Bad climate control switches? Break out your service manual, volt ohm meter and start digging.

If it is leakage, this is better left to a pro. There are way too many places that the system could be leaking and finding it will require a partial re-fill (a vacuum pump as a minimum), a leak detector and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If it was retrofitted previously then I would suspect a leak, most common source is a faulty seal... and, if you are a wee bit uncomfortable tackling this type of task then I strongly suggest you take paulo's advice ;)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Whatever you do, for the love of God, do NOT use a Wal-Mart leak sealer kit. And please, get it professionally done. Under or over charging a system by even a few ounces can seriously damage it. DIY kits are garbage, IMO.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Whatever you do, for the love of God, do NOT use a Wal-Mart leak sealer kit. And please, get it professionally done. Under or over charging a system by even a few ounces can seriously damage it. DIY kits are garbage, IMO.
I'll second this. A/C systems are one place where there's a definite right and wrong way to do it.

The right way is within the realm of a more advanced DIY. But it takes a large cash outlay to get the proper equpiment to do it right. Having a through understanding of how an A/C system works is a MUST.

I know......I spent close to $500 just on tools to repair the A/C system in my Chevrolet Lumina. This was ON TOP of the $1225 I paid to a shop that I thought was reputable (been in business as long as my Pop's shop...+40 years and I knew the guy). Turned out to be a hack grease monkey that had no idea of how A/C systems operated and couldn't fix my lack of cooling problem. The car was in and out of this shop over a six month time period.

I got it repaired and running a constant 40F in 90F degree ambient temps over a weekend :thumbsup:

I highly recommend this forum for anyone attempting an A/C DIY. It's a great place even for the casual observer:

Automotive AC Information Forum - ACKITS.COM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts