Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys,

Has anyone here ever removed their evaporator? If yes, how long does it take? Is it tedious?

I have no A/C in my 1992 legend and I've been told that the evaporator leaks. Please advise. Just had a baby and i need to fix that A/C.

Thanks

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
Not sure which piece you're talking about. The receiver (also known as a dryer), condenser & compressor are the main parts of the A/C system. Another common failure point is the expansion valve which is in the heater core area. I wouldn't remove anything from the system and leave it open to the air unless you plan on replacing all of the o-rings. A/C systems don't like to be open.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i'm not entirely sure whether evaporator is the name of it, but that's how the mechanic called it.

when i went to the shop, he put a Liquid leak detector in the car; it was green. The liquid was coming from underneath the car close to the dash area. Thus, he told me my evaporator leaks.

could it be this thing:

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The evaporator is inside the heater assembly and it is a pain to remove. In the pic below is the heater assembly, you can see the expansion valve and it is hooked to the evaporator.

Heater Assy 1

This view is from the firewall side, as you may have guessed it will require the removal of the dash and center console for access/replacement.
Heater Assy 3

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
That's possible although I've not known an evaporator in a Legend to go bad. I've seen plenty of expansion valves puke, though. Evaporator sub-assembly is P/N 0210-SP0-A02 @ $354.47 and the expansion valve is P/N 80220-SP0-J11 @ $97.63. The expansion valve can be replaced without taking out the dash but the evaporator can't, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any DIY on how to check on the connections for bad o-ring? If it's not the evaporator, I'll be so damn happy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to remove the blower assembly to get to it? I'm utterly sure it is the o-ring. The compressor was also leaking; I replaced it's o-ring, and the leak stopped. My A/C was fine until the R-12 to R-134 conversion system. That's when it started falling apart. Anyway, I appreciate your inputs.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
In the bottom picture above the shiny parts, are where your A/C lines hook up on the engine side of the firewall. Check to see if your leak is there. If not there then you will need to remove the blower assembly to get a view of the expansion valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts