Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my other legend (1992 L), it had the old A/C system R12. Last month I went to a place to get the system converted to 134. They charged the system after the conversion, and everything was fine for about 24hrs. the next day, there was no A/C in the car; the car was blowing warm air instead of cold.

i went back to the place; they applied a leak detector, and they found that there might be a leak in either the evaporator core or the expansion valve area. Now, they're asking me $1200 to restore the system. This is such a blow since my A/C was fine before I went to them. I know I had no leak in the system; I went there just to get it converted.

What could have happened? They charged me $159 to convert and charge the system. Something may have gone wrong; I just don't know what it is. Please HELP!!!!!!!

·
Renaissance.
3,096 Posts
I'd take it to another place to see if they can detect the leak. That "either here or there sh*t?" Uh-uh, ain't happening. I would then take it back to the place that did the conversion and explain that there was no leak prior to the install. Did they give you a warranty? And did they explain what they did as part of their "conversion"?

·
Banned
2,990 Posts
When I bought my other legend (1992 L), it had the old A/C system R12. Last month I went to a place to get the system converted to 134. They charged the system after the conversion, and everything was fine for about 24hrs. the next day, there was no A/C in the car; the car was blowing warm air instead of cold.

i went back to the place; they applied a leak detector, and they found that there might be a leak in either the evaporator core or the expansion valve area. Now, they're asking me $1200 to restore the system. This is such a blow since my A/C was fine before I went to them. I know I had no leak in the system; I went there just to get it converted.

What could have happened? They charged me $159 to convert and charge the system. Something may have gone wrong; I just don't know what it is. Please HELP!!!!!!!
Mine was converted a few years ago. It leaked too, but on mine it was a bad (not naughty bad), valve stem, ya know the valves like your tire stem valves, damn, I cannot think of the word here! Brain Fart.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
schrader.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
oh and also. the system was made for r12. and every little gasket and o ring that r12 passes over is made to withstand that particular chemical. if all they did was suck down the system. change you over to the 134 oil and gas. that 134 oil can react VERY badly with those orings and whatnot that have had the r12 oil on them. and soaking into them for 15 years. the 134 oil will literaly eat every part of the system that is made to seal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should have vacuumed the system before adding the R134, but they did not. They told me they would charge more if they had to do that; they didn't even talk about the negative outcomes of not doing it; I would probably pay for it. I've been reading some posts in here, and it looks like many members here experienced the same problem after a lousy conversion. Anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Renaissance.
3,096 Posts
Uhm.....yeah, you got hosed. They have to dispose of R12, which is why they charge you to vacuum it. You can't mix those. And if they charged your system when it was already charged, since there is a max. amount of psi the system can take before you get damage, I think I can safely say they probably overcharged it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ac conversions

Really, not a simple issue. Best bet is always to leave the R12 systems intact and not convert at all (when possible.) Its a better refrigerant.
To do a true conversion really costs upwards of 500-800 or more. Tough to justify..those "kits" at walmart etc. are what they used on your car (so it seems.) It is illegal to vent refrigerants into the atmosphere...I am at a loss to figure out how they bypassed this step (to get rid of the existing R12 before adding the 134a.) If they are a licensed shop, this is bad..like loosing your license/fine from EPA bad.
To do a conversion, replace all system O rings, Flush entire system of ALL the mineral oil (this is the R12 oil) pull out the ac compressor and dump all the oil it contains, re-install a good POE or POG oil in proper factory amt, pull a hard vacume on system for at least an hour depending on how long it was open, replace reciever/dryer, charge system, check for leaks. time consuming and expensive...
Sometimes an r12 system that has been converted will spring leaks at seals etc. eventually, as already mentioned, the seals etc. will begin to fail as 134a is not at all compatable with the Mineral Oil in the system..they do not work well together. this doesnt happen overnight, generally takes months for the "black death" syndrome to happen.
Also, 134a operates at higher pressures than the R12..much higher. those pressures will sometimes help those old O ring seals on their way to death. This I suspect is what happened...I doubt that they will make it right with you. There really is no guarantee unless a full, big cost conversion is done.
Incidentally, they should have tested the system for leaks (and they may have) prior to doing this "conversion" in the first place. that is standard, legal practice for a Lic. AC shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.