Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C & heater has not been blowing any air when turned on for several months now. I had just overlooked the problem during the winter and dressed warmly, however, now as summer is here I need AC really bad! I'm dying here, haha.

For some reason nothing happens when I turn the nob on the air control from off to on and vice versa. Nothing. The only thing I get is a quick relay sounding click from under the passangers side dash when I turn the knob to the max.

Now, I know that the ac and heater still work b/c if i have it set to suck in fresh air and if I'm going fast enough on the highway then I get hot/cold air through the vents.

I took it to a local japanesse automotive mechanic and they said everything seemed okay and it must be a inline fuse or something of that sort going from the switch to the fan or whatever creates the air fow. At that time I didn't want to pay a lot of labor to have them tear it all apart so I just forgot about it.

Last week I took it back into my best honda/acura mechanic and he diagnosed it to be a bad a/c control piece...either the switch is bad on it or the wiring is bad. So he was going to charge me $800 to get a new control unit and install it. the part was like $511!

So instead, I went to the junkyard got a control unit/center for $150 and took my old one out-- took only 5 min...only two screws above the cd player holding it in, haha....and guess what! Still nothing...the piece from the junkyard performed just like my old one!!! Dammit!

So now I'm stuck-- very frustrated and can not figure it out! My mechanic doesn't even want to work on it-- he is saying just take it to the acura dealer...but obviously I can't afford to have them play with it.

So if anyone out there has had this problem or knows what I should try next please respond, email([email protected]), or even call me 678.549.0987

Unfortunatly, I can't get my money back for the piece from the junkyard, but I do get a credit...so hopefully I can use that towards something else I will need...

THANKS!!! And hopefully this post makes sense and is not too long and boring.

Doug

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I think you should check the fuses in the fuse box under the hood.

Also, I maybe wrong but your blower motor may not be working?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already checked the fuses, I'm gonna try a blower motor-- seems like the cause to me! Just called the junk yard-- they want $200, but that is probably b/c he is mad I'm bringing the other part back, haha. We'll see what I can work out.

Where is the blower motor located and how do I hook it up-- is it straight forward or is there anything I need to know about the installation? Thanks!

Doug

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
Behind and underneath the glove box. Maybe somebody (MikeD?) can post the appropriate HELM pages. Better still, get thee to www.helminc.com and get one of your very own. Best $80 you'll ever spend on your Legend. Later---

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no luck!!!

I found the tutorial posted on the forms, it was very helpful. I went to the junkyard and was able to get the full blower motor vent assembly. i spent an hour putting in in and guess what??? it didnt solve the problem!! I am so fed up with my car and I decided to take it into the shop...I'll see what they can figure out.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Keep us posted.

You changed the blower motor right?

FRom your description in your first post it seemed like that might be the problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, i did

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem and changed the blower motor out and it solved the problem. I got it at a Honda only yard next to the dixie motor speedway (WDSTK, GA) for $75! Be careful when reconnecting everything though. I got the glove light and trunk remote lock backwards and now the ac/heat temp control doesn't work! There are fuses two places(dash-under hood) and I think a relay right side of firewall. I would just run 12 v (+ a grnd) to the blower to see if it works as a troubleshooting procedure. I might by the ac control panel if you haven't already sold it back to the junk yard.
good luck
fred

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THIS IS A NIGHTMARE!!!!

Well-- guess what? After taking it into the shop-- and finding out numerous things wrong with my A/C system-- and over $1200 in parts(all used parts) and labor charged to me by Japanesse Automotive in Alpharetta, GA the system is now worse than before-- WHY>>>??? I'll tel lyou why-- they got it blowing air, then they found 3 leaks, fixed those, then i needed a new compressor, got that-- but the switch panel in the dash dosn't start the compressor....however it works when jumped...so I re-buy the switches-- installed...still no work....so I go today b/c they are telling me that they are missing a harness when they hooked up the bloew motor...I go to look at it-- and sure enough they plugged into the glovebox light harness...and left the other harness unhooked...i called them out on it....and the mechanic was like oops i hope that doesn't scew anything up-- well now that I get back on here I see those are the two harness that screw up the AC/Heater controls-- thus why they are not working. What now???? I hate this AC problem...it is just getting worse and more expensive. Now I have to wait till Monday to bring this post to them to show that their mistake screwed more stuff up...ie the controls that are not working. great...

this sucks!

i'm poor now too after all this labor and parts....so broke. this F*******ing sucks! sorry...i'm just pissed right now and typing furiously...so hopefully not to many typos, etc hahaha :(

peace,
Doug

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THE WIRING AFTER THE HARNESS'S ARE SWITCHED UP? I have two control units and niether work....so I think it messed more up than just that!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I feel for ya bro,I hate mechanics man, sometimes or almost all the time they are just guessing on whats wrong a mechanic messed up my horn,cruise control,and srs and ended up paying a crap load of money and it never got fixed and just when you think they got it right they mess up another one and dont even bother to fix or tell you about it. RECOMMEND TO BEFRIEND A MECHANIC FRIEND ASE CERTIFIED AND LET HIM DO ALL THE WORK OTHER WISE YOUR STUCK WITH AHOLES THAT HAVE A SHOP BUT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING OR ARE CARELESS CUZ ITS NOT THEIR CAR THEY ARE FIXING.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts