Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
today I stepped into my car, turn on the A/C and it blows air, it's not cold anymore.. (just at the turn of summer!) It's a 1994 GS so it already has the R134 system, how much should a recharge cost if I take it somewhere?

What should I know beforehand? I think the A/C Compressor is fine... just needs a charge.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Any How-Tos somewhere? I just dont' want the can to blow up on me or ruin the A/C system or something, LOL

$30??? That sounds too cheap! How many lbs do we need to use, don't we need to do some PSI thing to find out how much is in, or whatnot?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
yeah,
the kit will come with everything.
there's a meter that you connect to the AC nozzle. i think the reading should be anywhere from 22-40 psi. anything under you'll need to recharge.
once you get the reading from the meter, if you need to recharge, you'll need to hook up the can to the nozzle. once you empty it out, you check with the meter again to make sure u'r in that range.

as for the 30 bux. i almost possitive that's how much it is. becuase a can of it is like 8.99 at the stores.
so 30 bux for the kit is reasonable.
-j

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you will be wasting your money unless you find the leak (assuming you need a charge)....and repair it first. You will need someone to test the system and determine the point of leakage and repair...then recharge. Systems do NOT just go low as a matter of course....this is a high pressure sealed system and will never need to be recharged unless some refrigerant and oil leak out. The system contains oil as well as refrigerant and must also be reoiled when charged. Most of the time you are better off having a pro check out your A/C system. R134a refrigerant is still not environmentally sound to release into the atmosphere...fix the leak, be good to the earth and your A/C will work better in the long run. If you want to check your system before you take it in, follow all of the A/C hoses, lines and connectors under the hood and look for dirty oily fittings/joints....if you find any, this is probably one of the points of leakage (oil is in the refrigerant, remember).

·
Registered
275 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
****, today I stepped into my car, turn on the A/C and it blows air, it's not cold anymore.. (just at the turn of summer!) It's a 1994 GS so it already has the R134 system, how much should a recharge cost if I take it somewhere?

What should I know beforehand? I think the A/C Compressor is fine... just needs a charge.
My ac stopped working last summer too. However it wasn't because it was low on coolant or because of the compressor but some module was defective which indirectly affected my ac... it cost about $300 to fix.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
****, today I stepped into my car, turn on the A/C and it blows air, it's not cold anymore.. (just at the turn of summer!) It's a 1994 GS so it already has the R134 system, how much should a recharge cost if I take it somewhere?

most likely you have a leak, refrigerent doesn't just disappear, it stays in the system until there's a leak.

I have a leak in my system too, I haven't had time to have it checked out yet, I just been recharging my system every month. that's how long it takes for my refrigerent to completely run out.

There's a great tuturial written by Koji_H on www.legendtuner.com that's the one I used.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, if I have a leak (more than likely) the refrigerant should last a couple of months though right? It's not too bad, $8 a bottle. I do not have the $$$ to do a full inspection and repair right now. I've had the car for 4 months now, and was prob on the auto lot for an additional month.

However, Just got the recharge kit, $30, checked the pressure... 75PSI! in the red zone... can't add any, looks like something is gonna be messed up...my dad says it's gonna run me over $300 just to have it checked out and de-pressure/pressurized again??? Without any fixes.....then the cost of the fixes themselves.. or any parts/labor.. what's that going to run me? $700-1000?

Looks like my A/C is going to be out of order until... well, not any time soon anyways, prob over 3-4 months. Any opinions thoughts, experiences?

Can I run the Air as long as I check "AC OFF" in the AC controls? :(

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hey Future,
sorry to hear about your A/C. A/C fixes are mostly expensive - I know it becoz I've had it done on my 91L. One guy charged me $ 175 and said its all fixed. It was cold for maybe 2 months and then all the refrigerant leaked out.
Oh well....I eventually paid $1000 for compressor and everything.

I think you should be ok if you just run the air with A/C off.

LA summer is just starting and I bet it hurts without the A/C!

BTW, if you do take it to an A/C mechanic, make sure he's good - there's too many lousy ones out there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take it to a reputable shop that does a/c work only. A reputable shop will charge you $50 or so to check it out and if you get the repairs done, will credit the $50 toward the work.

Bob

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
since you have the GS model, I assume you have the auto climate control A/C unit....if you do there is a self diagnosis feature on this that may point you in the right direction...you activate by turning ignition to ON set the temp dial to 60 and then push the auto and off buttons at the same time....do the same thing after turning the temp control dial up one click until you eventually get to 90. Wait for at least one minute for the system to check itself and then if it finds a problem with any of the sensors it will light an indicator light on the control panel (like the tallest bar on the fan speed indicator, which would indicate a bad outside air temp sensor). Post your result and I will decode for you.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm...

So,

1.) Set Key To On...
2.) Turn dial to 60
3.) Hit Auto+Off at the same time
4.) Turn dial to 61
5.) Hit AUto+off at the same time
6.) Turn dial to 62 (etc..) and hit Auto+Off again, each time one click up till 90?

That's what I did, and it didn't give me any trouble codes or anything...maybe because I tried it at night and it didn't need to "cool" the air for that. On an interesting note, what's the noise that you can hear when you go below or over certain points, like a small motor inside the dash somewhere changing positions.

·
Registered
744 Posts
FutureX 2001, that is your aspirator fan. It is what brings air from your cabin into the dash. That little bi~atch is expensive - like $150.00 from Acura of Augusta.

Mine went out (kind of - it started sounding like a f'ing tape was rewinding in the deck), but I strongly believe I have found a source for a new one.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You got the procedure correct, but you need to wait for at least a minute after getting to 90 for the system to do the checking and display any circuits that are out....if you did this and nothing displayed then you know that the 6 circuits that the diagnostic checks aare ok....mostly sensors...;you can still have other mechanical or electrical faults....the most common reason for the compressor to fail to run is low refrigerant pressure...usually due to a leak somewhere in the system. This is a safety feature to protect the compressor. You really need to take it to a good shop where they can do a halogen detector test for leakage of the 134a refrigerant, rather than relying on your over the counter refill kit. lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Well, if I have a leak (more than likely) the refrigerant should last a couple of months though right? It's not too bad, $8 a bottle. I do not have the $$$ to do a full inspection and repair right now. I've had the car for 4 months now, and was prob on the auto lot for an additional month.

However, Just got the recharge kit, $30, checked the pressure... 75PSI! in the red zone... can't add any, looks like something is gonna be messed up...my dad says it's gonna run me over $300 just to have it checked out and de-pressure/pressurized again??? Without any fixes.....then the cost of the fixes themselves.. or any parts/labor.. what's that going to run me? $700-1000?
Temperature (F) 134a (Psig)
050.0 __________ 45.5
055.0 __________ 51.2
060.0 __________ 57.4
065.0 __________ 64.1
070.0 __________ 71.1
075.0 __________ 78.7
080.0 __________ 86.7
085.0 __________ 95.3
090.0 __________ 104.3
095.0 __________ 114.0
100.0 __________ 124.2
105.0 __________ 135.0

Remember that there are two sides to the A/C system. A high side and low side.
So depending on which one you checked, you reading may be with in spec.
Also remember that the system is under pressure. When the temp goes up, your pressure will also go up.

It may also be your "pressure cutoff switch".

If your compressor goes on when you turn on the A/C, get a spray bottle and fill half with water and put in a good amount of dish washing liquid. Now remember back when you checked for leaks on your 10 speed.
Spray all the A/C components (not the compressor) liberally with the mixture and look for bubbles. If you can see bubbles, that's where your leak is.

I had a leak in my condensor :( and had it replaced. Parts an labour came to $500 CDN.
That included new fittings for R-134 conversion, new seals and the R-134 fillup.
I don't think you'll have to shell out over $300, unless the compressor/condensor is gone. If it is just a leak, that may not be too costly a repair. Most of the cost will be in getting to and replacing seals that have dried out.

I agree with the others, have the system checked by a pro and get a good vacuum pulled.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts