Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we briefly had this discussion last night in the Legend Room on AIM, but what are your Idle RPM's with A/C on? Mine DO NOT change from normal idle from with the A/C on.
My friend believes this contributes to the lag i feel in low RPM's with the A/C on. He says that most cars idle will rise slightly to compensate for the loss of power when A/C is turned on. My G1 does not.

Idle is normal at 750ish (right under the second mark under 1000RPM.)

what is your Idle RPM with A/C on. and is there an increase when AC is turned on?

Thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
25 Posts
well.... it actually does rise... BUT it rises enough to keep your idle where it should be... if you were to unplug the fuse for your compressor... (under the hood its a 20amp i think) and then turn on your AC inside... your idles would kick up to 1200 rpm... i did this when i first bought the car becaue the person before me didnt change the compressor because its so old that it drags the engine down to where it will stall out eventually.. but i heal toe it till i can find a new one.... anyway back to the question at hand... yes... your engine does raise the RPMs to compensate for the drag of the compressor... but it does it just enough to keep your enginge at the same idle speed.... so that way it can still run fuel efficiently... and yes.. i does drag the engine down... so dont race with it on... :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wanted to second what 894Door had to say. If working correctly, you shouldn't see a change in idle speed when you turn on the A/C.

The idle sensor should automatically compensate for the drag of the A/C and ideally, you should never see a difference.

I noticed that my idle sensor was going out when my idle DID change with the A/C turning on and off. Once I swapped it out (easy fix BTW) it started working as it should.

-FurBall

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey fur... wher is that exactly? i think thats what my prob MIGHT be along with the AC compressor... thanks man... i hoped i knew what i was talking about.. .HAHA

·
Registered
400 Posts
where on AIM do u guys chat....i didnt know ppl in the forums where doin that. my sn is jmzb1002 if u need it to let me in. hope to hear from someone...peace

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh..ic thanks guys! yea my friend says all his toyotas actually rise 2-300RPM's when the AC is on..guess its just not a Honda. Well ok at least my car is working propertly. so i guess my ac is working fine.

but is it normal for the AC to rob about 20% of the power in the low end?

89acura, some guys on the forum have most of our SN's and will invite us when enough members are on AIM at the same time. ill put ur name in my buddy list and ill invite you when i get invited!

·
Registered
400 Posts
cool thanks, it would be a sweet chat room to get into, i never knew u guys were doin that so im lookin foward to it....peace

·
Registered
157 Posts
Acuraguy,

It is pretty normal for A/C to rob a lot of power, don't know a number off the top of my head and it really depends on the pulley. My Chevy s10 with a v6 and a small a/c pulley really drags when the A/C kicks in. Hondas tend to have larger pulleys (more mechanical advantage) and not to drag as much but the A/C sucks when idling (sitting in traffic) whereas my Chevy will blow cold air no matter. Toyotas are similar to the chevy, they blow cold at any speed. Never noticed toyotas jumping to 2 - 3k rpms with the A/C on though, that seems rather extreme.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ladelberg, ahh very very true about our cars inconsistant cold air when idle. i thought something was wrong with our car caus on the highway with the same setting, it blows too cold,but around town with same setting its hot as heck! yea i jus made up that 20% number, but im sure its close to that. thanks for clearing that up..still think maybe we need a recharge..but not worth 270$ for it. no not 2-3KRPM, sorrie, i meant 2-300 RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts