Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to get my A/C unit charged with gas but was told the unit in front of my radiator has a leak - this is the evaporator right ? To replace this part and the dryer would cost $500 - is this reasonable ?

Is this the most common area for the A/C to leak ? or am I just about to start a long list of extensive and expensive repairs ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
New Acura condenser's are expensive, around $430 retail vs. an after market one starting around $140 (and most shops will mark this up to at least $200). Of course you can get one from one of the many people who part out for less without any warranty. Then you have to add labor R&R plus A/C charge. It is a bit on the high side in my opinion too, perhaps a $350-400 would be better. Did they put dye in it and show you the leak? You want to make sure the leak is not in the connections which can be a simple o-ring replacement plus charge.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That my friend is the condensor. $500.00 sounds way high to me but :dunno: :headscrat
I was hoping for less but ....

New Acura condenser's are expensive, around $430 retail vs. an after market one starting around $140 (and most shops will mark this up to at least $200). Of course you can get one from one of the many people who part out for less without any warranty. Then you have to add labor R&R plus A/C charge. It is a bit on the high side in my opinion too, perhaps a $350-400 would be better. Did they put dye in it and show you the leak? You want to make sure the leak is not in the connections which can be a simple o-ring replacement plus charge.
Yes, I saw the leak, its in the condenser for sure. My only concern is putting in a new condenser only to later find more leaks and expensive repairs on the other components .... which is why I have done without A/c for two years.

They said once the gas leaks out, water gets in and thats why they said to replace the dryer as well. Maybe thats why the price was so high?

Aftermarket condensers are $150, so the rest of the cost of the dryer, shop labour, recharging and their PROFIT.

decisions, decisions

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The receiver/dryer should be about $40-50. There is a good amount of labor as they will have to remove the bumper and most likely the radiator, so I'm guessing book time is 2-3 hours plus the actual swap of the condenser and receiver/dryer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.