Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
P*mp!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whattup forum,...i got a 91 LS 4 Door.

The problem I have is that the A/C or Heat coming out of the vents smell really wierd. The smell stays for 10 minz, then goes away. I have no clue what it is. I'm thinking I need to clean the air filter, but i'm not sure. Anyone else have this problem?? Its a funky musty smell, not like antifreeze or oil,....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the reason mold and bacterial build up is the drain for the evaporator gets plugged and water winds up standing in place and getting funky...sometimes it will even spill into the floorboard and wet the carpet. Clean out the drain and then Lysol the ductwork...should work...

·
Registered
301 Posts
To further bigdad,

The cooling coils of your AC unit (called the evaporator) are in a dark place. When you run the AC moisture condenses on the evaporator, drips down onto the floor of the evaporator box and eventually runs out the drain tube. First thing to check is to see if the drain tube is actually draining. That's easy enough to do--if it leaves puddles of water when it's sitting still and running, it's draining. If it doesn't, a little compressed air or a coat hanger type wire will clear the drain tube.
Now, we have a dark place that's constantly wet. Gee, why would we NOT get a musty smell? (grin) The easiest way to fix this is to dry it out. There aren't enough chemicals in the world to solve this problem. As soon as you run the AC, the condensation will rinse out the evaporator and the box.
The fix is to just leave the blower on high all the time, even when the AC is off. This will dry it out and reduce/ eliminate the smell. If you use the AC every day, a little odor when the unit is first turned on is perfectly normal. It should go away within minutes and be fine after that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.