Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you completely release all the pressure using the low pressure vale, how many can of R134A refrigerant does it takes to have it fully charged? Also, is it necessary to oil it using R134A oil charger? When charging, should the can be in its upright position or upside down?

The reason I'm asking this is because after charging my AC with 1 can of R134A refrigerant and 1 can of 134A oil charger, the AC system no longer work properly. Basically the compressor/driver side radiator fan kick in for a few seconds and then stop... longer (a few minutes I supposed) if you first turn ON your AC. As long as the AC is on... the compressor will try to start and then shut down again. It's just weird...

I thought it might be the oil so I complelety released all the pressure from the low vale, and the compressor started working like normal again, so refilled it with 3 cans of 134A, but I think the compressor started acting up on the 3rd can I believe - I didnt noticed it until when I'm done filling up the 3rd cans. So either I'm over charging it or maybe I didn't position the can correctly so maybe it's overloaded with liquid rather then gas as on the can... it says upright for gas and upside down for liquid, and when charging it... I positioned the can upside down as my cousin said it shouldn't matter.

I have released most of the pressure and AC seems to be working like normal now, but what I want to do now is completely release all the pressure and then fill it up correctly this time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-QA

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The refrigerant capacity is 24 - 26 oz. The can should be held in the down position. The only time I add oil is when I replace a receiver/dryer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I just tried recharging it again a while ago, but with the can held down, it took forvever for the can to goes empty. After waiting patiently for more than 5 minutes, I removed the can, but it was only about half empty. Of course the can started to frost and my fingers almost got frosted too. How come with the can held in the upside position, it takes about 1 minute for the can to goes empty?

I then measured the PSI and it only show about 25psi with the air conditioning running at full speed/temperature set to its lowest. After feeding it a 2nd can of refrigerant, it now show a PSI of only 28. Should I feed it another can of refrigerant? Also I just don't understand what difference it makes between holding the can upside down and in the upright position.

Thanks,

-QA

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are charging the system on the low side, the can should be upright, ie the tap at the top.
Upright, the refridgerant is charged as a vapor, inverted, the refridgerant is charged as a liquid.
The high side is charged as a liquid (you should NEVER charge the high side)
The low side is charged as a vapour.

You're playing "Russian roulette" with your AC system.
You need a certain amount of oil in the system to ensure that the parts are lubricated properly.
Too much oil and it may sieze up the compressor and hamper cooling. Too little oil will surely sieze up the compressor.

You should only be using 1 1/2- 2 cans of R-134a in your AC. 3 cans is way too much.

Your pressure reading is dependant on the temperature around your car. The higher the temp, the higher the pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts