Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.
My trusted mechanic has a 1996 Acura RL with 226,000 miles that he is willing to sell me for $1700. It currently would need the right headlight assembly, the windshield fixed and a slight oil leak, all of which he said he would take care of. The interior isn't in great shape, but, if cleaned, would be passable. The car runs pretty good, from the brief test drive I took by his garage. The radio doesn't work, and he wouldn't be fixing it... apparently no current is getting to it, or something, but he said he wouldn't be fixing it, although he did say the unit works, it just isnt getting any current or something. (He isn't exactly a radio guy, but I love having music in my car, but thats another story.)
Everything else (A/C, etc) seems to work fine, albeit the lights in the instrument cluster could be replaced. I am currently a student, and wont finish school until next year. I absolutely love Acura RL's.
So! Should I buy this car? Even though he hasn't steered me wrong yet, I know this is a car he just wants to get rid of, because he has many. I would appreciate some feedback, because I would HATE to buy it and regret it later on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my RL from a dealer with 225,000 miles on it in 2006 for $5000.Here is something to think about and consider;RL's are costly to fix and chug gas.If you're ok with that then go for it.To date I've had to fix a major/minor oil leak,o2 sensor,battery,both control arms and timing belt.Considering the age and miles my car has,It has been very relaible.The condition of the RL you are considering buying sounds borderline poor.Mine was in near mint condition.You might encounter big repair bills and many man hours spent on this car if you buy it.If you're good with cars then you might be able to do bodywork and small repairs on it;save some money.Dont like the fact it has electrical problems.I would also take it to another mechanic and have them do a full inspection on the car(engine,suspension,etc)What does it boil down to?If you have the drive and money to bring this RL back to life do it(it deserves nuthin less)If not then look for something else.

p.s. you can click on my username and go to my cardomain link located in my profile.I just painted here jet black 80)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dissapointing. I REALLY love this car, but I am a bit worried about it a pricey maintainance. I dont exactly have an overflow of money atm, and I know that buying this car would be at my upper limit in terms of gas prices, etc. I have a 1995 Saab 900s with a manual trans that has transmission issues, but it was great on gas. The thing is, though, I am 6'5", so it was basically a 3 person car. I just cant take my mind off the RL! Just juvenile greed, probably (albeit I am in my 30's).
I got an average of 22 miles to the gallon on the saab... is the mileage on the RL comparable? If its more like 15, then I definitely wont buy the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dont Buy It !!im 20 years old with 97 RL had it since 01 and now i have 170.000 miles and the current issues i have with mines is I need a new axle oil run off bad 02 sensor and a.c compressor been dead for 2 years now makes noises like its gonna fall flat on its face and I dont have the money to fix everything new axle i have coming in. your repair bills will fly off the roof before its said and done keep searching theres more better condition RL's out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont Buy It !!im 20 years old with 97 RL had it since 01 and now i have 170.000 miles and the current issues i have with mines is I need a new axle oil run off bad 02 sensor and a.c compressor been dead for 2 years now makes noises like its gonna fall flat on its face and I dont have the money to fix everything new axle i have coming in. your repair bills will fly off the roof before its said and done keep searching theres more better condition RL's out there.
Hmm. I'm sure there are ones in better condition out there... I saw someone selling one with 130,000 miles for 5k. I'm getting mine for 1.7k. Plus, my mechanic pretty much guarantees his cars that he sells (enginewise, anyway) which is whats important to me. He is a decent fella, and would fix anything that went wrong in the next few months, albeit I would have to buy the parts. I just want to have it for about 2 years, then I'm gonna upgrade.
Like I said, my heart is set, but my fears are, too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts