Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own both G1 LS Coupe 5spd and G2 LS Coupe 6spd

G2 is faster and newer and has heated seats and doors that suck them selves in, ooowwwww big deal, everyone but myself slams the door. But there are many features of the G1 that I truly miss.

1. and this is a big ONE. Trip Control and System Monitor Console, for crying out loud, as if there wasn't a better feature on the car they couldn't remove. This is what put it in the big league with the BMW's and Audi's minus the rust.

2. All the storage compartment. SH!T man, what happened to all my storage compartments. First there's the one on the door that I use to stuff 6 CD's into with a lid that closed shut, now there's this shallow, crappy @ss thing that has "Place items here that you wish to loose.".

3. Next there's the one on top of the dash board, I guess the replacement was the one below the ash tray, but if you want to compare cubic volume, G1 wins.

4. OK hear comes the slapper, the center console and the glove box, holy sh!t, they might as well not even put one in if they were gonna make it that freaking small. As if there wasn't a better place to put the ABS and now I can't fit my Alpine changer in the glove box without cutting the damb thing. I was able to put it in the G1 glove box.

5. You know how all cars with sun roof's have this wind deflector that pops out when you open the roof. Well guess what, G1 has it and G2 doesn't.

6. uhhh, uhhh, can't think of anything else, but when I do you'll hear my scream.

7. The G1 came with a tape deck and CD in dash player, G2 never came with a CD head only a tape deck

8. The G1 has an accessory option to replace the ash tray with a cup holder for two cans, which I have. G2, no cup holder no accessory option, somebody spilt coffee all over themselves one day and messed it up for the masses.

In conclusion, G2 seems to be more of a downgrade than an upgrade, however I'll slap you if you tell me my G2 sucks, yea baby!! 230hp and SIX gears.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tryed looking here for it
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/
but couldn't find it, maybe it was aftermarket, seems too good of a fit to be thou, i'll post a pic as soon as my girlfriend finds the bloody cables for the digi cam.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Now you list all the things you like about your G1, and for the G2 you say HP and 6 spd.

If you sold the G2 and put the jack into the G1 you could have a 280 hp G1, and that sixth gear wouldn't matter quite so much :D

and you'd have a total badast Legend.

Course I'm not burdened with owning both, so I'm glad I'm not in your quandry... wait, maybe I'm jelous.... aw, hell, now you got me all confused....:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
very few cars look better then g2 coupes w/ one piece headlights and oem fogs. drooooool...

·
Registered
160 Posts
andwhat03,
man i am glad you posted. I have asked Vince a question on both generations and he suggested i ask you guys. i am pasting my questions/comments.

Vince, your web page makes interesting and informative reading. From what you've reported there was very little structural differences from 1987-1990 for the coupe with the sedans catching up. What of engine modifications ? Was there improvements from year to year? Under the hood there are apparently no discernable differences to my untrained eyes. Are there?
One report i've read regarded the Ist Gen as true LEGENDS from performance, handling, nimbleness etc and was critical of 2nd Gen as being big and unwieldy. I know i am shaky ground here as there are many of us who have both types. I would love to hear your honest viewpoints as i am contemplating a 2nd Gen sedan.

Looking forward for comparisons from u guys.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, the G1 was a much more solid car than the G2, suspension and body frame related. If you want the handling that you have with the G1 the upper strut brace and a spring and shock combo will be required. Aesthetically speaking, the G2 wins without a doubt. Interior leather however, Acura used the exact same cheap low quality leather that will begin to crack and fade and rip within the first 100k miles if not constantly maintained, hopefully they used better leather for the TL's, however my friends is already showing signs of wear, and he's a neat freak. The G2's engine is defiantly a winner, from what I hear the head has a tendency to leak from the head gasket and mine seems to be leaking as well with 140K. My G1 has 280K miles on it and runs stronger than ever, I pull a trailer with 2 atv's up to the Catskills at least 5 times a year, and I'll tell you that it's a reliable engine, the only thing to give me any troubles was the alternator, and that was probably due to my Phoenix Gold amp. I have yet to test the reliability of the G2. RUST RUST RUST!, my G1 is falling apart due to rust, probably my fault, but I have a 86 SAAB sitting in my backyard that hasn't been washed for 4 year and there's no rust at all on the car, while on the other hand G1 is being held together by paint. I don't really know how well the paint job is on the G2's. I'll let you know in 5 year, however it seem that every little rock that hits the hood removes a chip of paint, and that can’t possibly be good for it. A bra with rock deflectors is a must.

PS here’s number
7. The G1 came with a tape deck and CD in dash player, G2 never came with a CD head only a tape deck

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damb, G2's now idleing at 1400rpm's....

After 290K miles, I have yet to have any engine problems with G1.

Time to open the hood. :(

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Interior leather however, Acura used the exact same cheap low quality leather that will begin to crack and fade and rip within the first 100k miles if not constantly maintained
Just wanted to pop in with my 2 cents on this one, leather sucks on almost any car, with domestics being the worst (except maybe a few caddies) and europeans being a bit better. The jap cars are somewhere in the middle, with the Legend definitely being the better quality of most jap cars. 100K is alot to pt on any leather....my point is leather sucks, makes your back all sweaty, and it always wears so quickly on the doorside bolsters....cloth holds up better.
BTW, the G1 is a much neater (LS) car than the G2 for sure. But I can assure you the G2 has a stronger chassis,
Honestly, the G1 was a much more solid car than the G2, suspension and body frame related.
For sure, the G2 chassis was a upgrade. My friend has a sweet G1, and it is solid too, handles much better. But the G2 is stronger.
Anyway, I am looking to buy a sweet 90 LS coupe....I really am fascinated with they way they look like a 91 Prelude Si, but way cooler!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I own a G1 Coupe and a G2 Sedan.

Hands down, the Generation2 is a better car in my opinion, and was a worthy upgrade. The looks are superior the G1, and I like my G1's looks. The engine is much stronger, the car is STRONGER, the chasis is stronger. Sure the G1 feels a little more agile, because it's a smaller car. The Suspension on the G2 was geared more for Luxury, and handles bumps and ride very well.

For the love of god don't complain about the stereo, my G1 had The Tape/CD Combo. The G2 STOCK Bose system, blows the doors away the G1s audio system. I don't miss it. Most people think I have an aftermarket audio system in my car. The CD Changer, is a big plus, I don't miss the single in dash. I never used my tape player, it would just take space in the G2.

I don't have any problem with storage what's so ever, the G2 is much more roomy than my G1, the Auto-Tilt for the steering wheel when key is inserted/removed, is a big definate plus over the G1.

When I had just gotten my G2, I missed the G1s steering system, The steering wheel was very responsive, but now I don't miss it, the G2 is more of a true touring car, it's great I love it. I drive the G1 still, and would never give it up, but I'm much happier driving the G2 around. The G1 feels underpowered to me now :(

I want Superchargers in both cars! But that's probably not gonna happen. $$$

Just adding my own 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts