Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in to Jiffy Lube for oil change and a radiator coolant flush today. When I left the place and went home everything was fine. Then I went out tonight, after driving for 5 mins and all of a sudden my car started overheating! The temp needle went all the way to the red, so I stopped pulled over and shut my car off. I pop the hood, expecting it to be hot, but to my suprise, it was really cool. So I turn my car on again, the temp needle jumps to red then immediately drop to normal operating temp and didn't happen again. Then on my way home, it does it again. The temp went all the way up to the red, and dropped back down immediately.

WHATS WRONG!!!!:mad: My car has never over heated before, can someone tell me if Jiffy Lube messed up my car:(

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
they didn't bleed the air out of the coolant system. take it back. your sensor is being exposed to liquid and air and gives funny readouts...could actually airlock and overheat and warp head too. Is also likely to screw up your idle as the sensor sends signals to idle air control valve...will wind up revving up and down...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sounds like you may have an air bubble in the system. I believe there was a post out here about clearing that up without useing the breather plug. Something about running the car until the thermostat opens up and then open the radiator and fill if needed.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Update!
I drove to Jiffy Lube this morning, and the car overheated again.
I got there told them what happened, and the guy came out and started bleeding the air out of it. It was actually a very simple procedure. He said everything should be fine now. So I drove to work, a 10 min drive and the car didn't overheat yet. Hopefully it won't do it again.

Do you guys think they did any permenant harm to my engine? Thanks for all the responses

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
Looks like a 99% chance there was just air in the system which was giving you false readings. As long as the temp didn't stay high for long then it was only steam and you did no damage. I have a blown headgasket and my car has been overheating constantly for the last 3 months. I never let it get too high or stay there but it happens a lot. I finally got around to pulliung the engine apart and after all that the block and heads are fine.

If it ever overheats, shutdown and pull over immedietly, leave the ignition on, engine off though to keep the fans going so the coolant keeps flowing otherwise heat can still build up.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing after I got it back from the body shop. I took it to my mechanic. He said it was just some air left over in the system and that it would work it's way out. Sure eneough two weeks later it stopped. I have never had a problem with it heating up since.

I would NEVER go to Jiffy Lube or any place like that!!!
Later!
Lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.