Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good brand of fog lights? I heard PIAA were good and I am looking at these

Your thoughts?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
This is my experience only. I have always like Catz fog lights, and I have a Catz MSX set on my wifes 95 Coupe since 1997 with no problems at all. The built quality is very good and sturdy in an all metal casing, and the switch is a very good rocker switch. I bought a set of PIAA 1100X foglights in Summer of 2000, and when I got it, the foglight felt more plasticky (if that is a word) the mounting base plate is made of hard plastic instead of metal like the Catz, the foglight switch is a cheap push button type switch that feels cheap IMHO, and to the wose part is 1 side had already burnt out on me. Now they are good foglights, but I don't recall anyone having any burning out problems with their Catz lights before, and I heard of a few PIAA lights buring out every once in a while. Now it could have just been my set, but the relay that came with the PIAA was crappy as well IMHO. I still would only choose Catz or PIAA though, but I feel Catz is a better quality light. If catz had a foglight you liked, then I would get it. If not, then I would still recomend the PIAA.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have the PIAA 01790 model by the looks of it. I think I got it from the same website you got your pic from. They go for $179.99.

Attachments

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will most fog lights fit a 94 sedan? Should I be looking for something when shopping for fog lights?

Mckenzie, are you ready to sell your coupe yet? ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I told you... its in the box with the CD changer... no cost to you;) :D

I think any foglight will fit any car.... I think it just depends on your personal preference of wht you like best. Color, style, and price are all factors... My first fog lights on my sedan were big rectangle ones, and now that I think about it they looked cheap. Try and find OEM ones (good luck and dig deep into your pocket book).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Just remember that foglamps have a tendency to have a short life due to road debris breaking lenses. Something to keep in mind if you spend $200 for a set.

I installed a set of Focus 2500 which were very inexpensive ($70 AutoDynamic). I was not seeking function, just appearance. The lamp, however, surprised me. I tested them once by driving (briefly) at speed in the dead of night using only the foglamps. At $70 a set, I don't lose any sleep over when I may break a lens or unit.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
LPB said:
Just remember that foglamps have a tendency to have a short life due to road debris breaking lenses. Something to keep in mind if you spend $200 for a set.

I installed a set of Focus 2500 which were very inexpensive ($70 AutoDynamic). I was not seeking function, just appearance. The lamp, however, surprised me. I tested them once by driving (briefly) at speed in the dead of night using only the foglamps. At $70 a set, I don't lose any sleep over when I may break a lens or unit.
Hey isn't the 2500 series a replica of the catz msx? I'm wondering if the focuz 2500 have the same easy install bracket as the catz does.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Focuz lists the 2500 series as being similar to the Catz MSX. Not having compared them, I cannot say. The unit does have an aluminum body and bezel. The bracket used to mount the 2500 series I would not depict as being "easy" mount. Appears to be the usual mounting bracket design having in/out as well as vertical adjustments. Lamp connected to the bracket via an allen bolt on each side. I mounted mine where the OEM mount. Had to cut the allen wrench in order to fit the limited space between the lamp and cover to adjust and tighten the lamp. Due to the inexpense, I bought two sets.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
The Catz MSX is the only mount that has the type of mount it has as far as I know. Not even the other Catz lighs have it. That is one reason why I liked the catz as well. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you can either mount the mights using 1 bracker directly like any other light, or you can use a 2nd bracket in combination to the first that will clamp down similar to a C clamp. This may not be the most secure, but it allows you to mount a light and not drill any holes. I may be fortunate, but I had my MSX since 1997, and there is no crack in the lens and no one has tried to steal them yet either. My friend has those MSX look alike brand, but his light burnt out within a year of use.

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
I had a set of Piaa's on my old G1 coupe that took a beating and kept on shinning. The lenses were pitted, but the light output was still brilliant. I should have taken them off before I sold it. :mad:

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Triton3K said:
Hey ChrisK, is the light output of the catz very good?
Yes, but you need to decide on what beam pattern you want. If you get the fog, it will be a foglight and shine mostly in front of the car, but if you get the driving light, it will shine further out like a driving light. Don't mix up the two as they are very different.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
ChrisK said:

Yes, but you need to decide on what beam pattern you want. If you get the fog, it will be a foglight and shine mostly in front of the car, but if you get the driving light, it will shine further out like a driving light. Don't mix up the two as they are very different.
Which beam pattern do you have? Also what are some advantages of having the fog lights over the driving lights and vice versa??

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
My MSX is a fog light, but I wish I got the driving light. Fog lights simply work better in real fog weather, while driving lights are also known as auxillary light and aid in lighting up the road further ahead for better viewing. If you live in foggy weather area, then a real functional foglight system might be what you need. However, if you are like most of us who jsut want the aid of more lighting and live in a good weather state like I do here in Hawaii, then a driving light is a better choice. Basically, the driving light has a narower beam pattern that reaches further down the road, while a fog light as a wider beam pattern that doesn't reach as far down the road and concentrates most of its light directly in front of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts