Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to tell if you have cracked or warped your heads before you rip everything apart for the HG repair? The reason I ask is that I was talking to one guy, and he said that if I have oil in my antifreeze, it is probably a cracked head as well. It is starting to scare me now, the unknown. I have to wait until next next week now to get my car in. I am afraid that I will have head damage now.

Are new heads expensive?
Where can I find some if I need them?

Thanx for your ideas..:)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds good...
I might have to take them off your hands if things dont go as planned. Even if the heads are in good shape, are you still saying that they need to be machined?

My mechanic said that it will be a ten hour job, and if the heads are damaged, then he will charge me an extra couple of hours for them to stripped down and remachined. Should I just get him to do it anyways, to be on the safe side, or leave it up to his discretion? Thanx.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I will have to get him to check that for sure.

As for my car, 219 000 km. I have had this problem since I bought the car in June of last year. The price of the repair is going to cost me:
$430 for HG kit
$140 for water pump
$80 for plugs
$18 for PCV valve
$40 for fuel fillter
$125 for brake master cylinder
$20 for oil filter
$35 for 6L of synthetic oil
____
~$900 CDN for parts + at least 10 hrs labour (just for HG), and probably a couple more hours for Brake MC, H2O pump, and fuel filter @$54 /hour.

Grand total around $1700 CDN. I am hoping to keep it under that amount. That is if heads do not need to be replaced as well. I guess I could have got away with it a little cheaper, by just doing the head gasket, but I figured I might as well replace all of the other stuff as well while the engine is ripped apart.

Also, I dont think he has ever worked on this engine before, so I may need the helms manual specs from you. I have the haynes, but I am not sure if it will have all of the same info.

Thanx:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mckenzie... I would also do the Timing Belt.... It's easily accessible with all the rest off.... Machining of the head would give you slightly higher compression.... :D What a terrible benefit, Eh???

Good luck fellow Canadian !!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx man:) ...

My timing belt only has about 23 000km on it, so I think I will leave it be. It was just done in July of last year. By the sounds of it, I may as well get my heads re-machined. It may be worth the few extra hours of labour to do that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts