Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT PUT COMPLETE SYNTHETIC OIL on your whips if it has high miles, i got about 90k and i was going to put in Valvaline synthetic oil, Luckily my Oil drain Plug was put on too tight and since it was stripping i took it to my Mechanic, he told me not to put Synthetic Oil in, He said i'll devolope an oil leak sooner like that, He said Synthetics are thinner than regular oil and more suseptable to get through the pores our gaskets have in time. He said since i had been using Vals Durablend this whole time to keep on with the same one....Just thought i'd give my headz out there some pre-warning:D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: Oils

What's considered to be high mileage? Please get back with me on this because I just got mine about a week ago and had Pennzoil Syn put in it. My mileage is 69k?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HMM I wish i could tell u :( since i'm close to 100K my mechanic said to stay away from the complete synthetic..............Um only thing i could tell u right now is What kind of Oil have u been putting in your Engine the last couple of changes???? Regular, SYN blend, or Full SYN? i would stick with the one you've been using up till now if it's been the same one, i'll try and see if i can get in touch of my mechanic during the week when i get some time.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have been told if the car has over 70k miles and was not fed Synthetic up to that point, it's not wise to put full Synthetic in. It tends to leak, but not for everyone. Some people use the oils with part synthetic in it. I have been putting Valvoline in mine.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: Oil Info

Thanx for the info, I just got it and I don't want to mess it up in anyway cause I waited so long for this car. I appreciate any other info that you may have. I bought an Acura Integra and Legend repair manual and it didn't have any recommendations on the oil to use, so I thought I would ask those who would know. Thanx Again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
:D I have Valvoline Synpower in mine 187k, no leaks, no problems runs great!!

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Your mechanics advice is best applied to american engines that have not been maintained properly.

If your engine has not had it's oil changed regularly, the sludge that forms can/will plug any leaks that develope at gasket joints (particularly with stamped steel valve covers and oil pans) and . Sludge buildup can also bugger up crankshaft seals yet prevent their leaking.

What happens with sythetics is they slowly desolve away any sludge deposits and leaks can result.

Synthetics are no thinner than the same grade natural base oil.

I switched my G2 over to sythetic at 90K and 37K later I have no leaks or problems. The wifes G1 has lived on synthetic all it 126K with the side cover gaskets being replaced once (as about all G1's have).

Real question should be is it worth the additional cost. If you drive easy and change oil every 3K it's probably not worth it. But if you have severe driving conditions it may be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts