Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having removed the large plastic splash shield under the car during my recent R&R of the radiator, I noticed that the ABS accumulator was wet with brake fluid.

I rinsed off the area and have since discovered that the leak is at the pressure switch. I don't think the switch itself is leaking; it looks more like it's at the connection with the "bracket".

Judging from the diagram in the shop manual, it looks like the switch is held to the bracket with a banjo bolt and some sealing washers (copper??).

Short of verifying the tightness of the banjo bolt, what else can you guys recommend? I'd like to just remove the switch from the bracket and replace the sealing washers as a first step.

Also, how does one go about bleeding the ABS side of the brake system? The shop manual describes the procedure using the ALB Checker (black box). I just happen to NOT have one of these tools.

This leak isn't really a problem (yet). The pump will run about once every two-three weeks to build up lost pressure.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
A 5/16 square drive socket on a long extension can be used to bleed the pressure out of the system. Replace the washers (or just crack and retighten)
Forget the abs checker. Start car with one frt wheel jacked up, the spinning wheel will activate the abs pump (assuming the sys is working properly) I'd bleed out all pressure at leats twice to get out all the foam. Then go drive on a dirt road and hammer the brakes a few times to activate all the solinoids. (thats what the abs checker really does)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ABS system is going to need attention NOW.

After letting the car sit in the driveway for the past week, I got in to run to the grocery store and the ABS pump ran for the 120 seconds, never building up any pressure. It stopped running and the ABS light came on.

Since the ABS controller only sets soft codes, the light went off and didn't come back on during the drive home.

This morning, the pump again ran for two minuts and set the fault code again. At the gas station, I looked under the hood and the ABS reservoir was dry. I filled it back up and it seems okay, but it really needs to be repaired pronto.

Funny thing is it didn't make the ratlle-rattle sound this time. It made more of a buzzing sound that could be felt through the pedals (trying to pump air, no doubt).

I plan to replace the high pressure hose(es) as well. Will let you guys know how the bleeding process goes. Just in case, I did find a how-to on an NSX board. It looks like the two systems are similar enough (need to do more homework) to where the NSX bleeding procedure may be adaptable to the Legend. I'm going to do the PSA method first....way easier.

Thanks again for the help.

http://www.nsxhelp.com/Brakes/ABS.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 3.2TL (checked the trouble codes for the ABS). However, I cannot locate the ABS resoirvor...any ideas of how you found it on your car???

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is way funny....

This thread is over two years old.

And I STILL haven't repaired the leak in the ABS system! :giggle: The reservoir hasn't gone dry since.

Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry, I can't help you with your TL. Have you consulted your owner's manual?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.