Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hatin the rain already
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know why my ABS pump seems to be constantly on? It makes that rattly noise all the time and stops for a second then starts again? It seems to be getting more constant. I hope this isnt the pump going out. If anyone knows please comment and if you know how much it is to fix let me know.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
864 Posts
hey I have similar sounds which sound like vibrations or a bad tires but im sure its the pump.

If it really annoys u then just take out the fuse for the pump.

I learned to deal with, I guess cuz I feel secure with the abs behind me when im skidding down a 100 feet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yup take fuse out...

just get jiggy wid it...i did the same thing he did. i didn't like the noise cuz it was turning to much heads...so i took out the fuse, should be three of them for 1990s label under abl1 abl2 abl3.
my mechanic says its pretty expensive to fix and better left to the factory to do it. better off taking it off as long as ur normal brakes work...which they do i hope, either that or just where ur helmet and seat belts all the time and remember what they taught u in elementary school, when u do a superman thru the windshield:
"Alright kids, just stop, drop, and roll.."
-John Q.-:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
it gets louder

and louder, and more frequent.
getting the legend on some dirt and working the abs a fair bit helps for me, in that it will only cycle up the pump when you start the car, and if you brake heavily.
In the end I cracked the shyts and removed the three fuses, then pulled the instrument cluster and removed the bulb for the alb warning lamp - that was just as annoying as the noise!.

I am going to wire a switch into the wiring harness so I can activate and deactivate the abs from the dash. Then I can run in 'silent mode' ala Knight rider..

he he

rich

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have that problem now.

My ABS was not working so I replaced the relay (under the hoodn by the fuse pannel) to see if that is bad.

Before the ABS was not working and the fluid was overflowing.
Now that I replaced the Relay i started hearing the noise and vibrations. I got that Antilock light too
I also had low Brakes fluid for the ABS.

I added some more and now the noise is not there much. Just when I 1st start the car. I will monitor it.
You think I need to flush the system? how is that done?
Can it be bleed?

Keep in mind if you listen to loud music like me it is hard to hear your car noises. I always Mut the sound and turn off the Ac when I hear something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
its the brake motor thats making the sound i agree about pulling the fuses but most times the motor is good u just have to service it about 100 dollars at a acura mechanic.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Like I said my abs pum was acting up!

I decided to take a quick look and gues Wat I found? a disconnected wire! the yellow connector leading to the pump.
I re-connected it and no more noise BUT My abs is stil l not working. oh well. no more noise and no more Ati-lock light
I am happy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Full_stealth,
As PSA said, bad pump or modulator which means it will pump for a very long time before cycling off, at least 20 seconds up to over a minute. If it's the accumulator it will pump less then 20 seconds before cycling. You can have the dealer use a ABS checker to activate the modulators or simply find a slippery road and stomp on your brakes. Sometimes activating the solenoids will clean out any gunk that's causing a leak ( if it's a modulator problem ). New accumulators are $400-500 if it's the accumulator. If you don't want to fix the problem, jump the yellow wire Talerudeboy refered to, don't just simply disconnect it. This will fool the ABS computer into thinking there is enuf pressure in the system and your pump will not run. It will also disable your ABS without having the ABS light coming on. You can wire a switch into the jumper wire so that you can have the pump operate in inclement weather.

Talerudeboy,
No noise, no light how do you know your ABS is still not working ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Nick T

The pum never did worked since I got the car.

I then replaced the relay and the the noise cam in to action.,
I looked at it and i saw the yellow wire (by the battery bay) disconnected.

After I re-connected the wires (2) the pum does not make that noise.
I braked hard plenty of times and Still no ABS.

I have not tried to brake on a slippery road yet.
I do not think it works.

Can you give us more deatail on making a on/off switch for the abs without the damage to the abs unit?

what wire to put a switch on?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Talerudeboy,
Does the ABS light go on for a few seconds when you first start the car? If so and the light does not go on afterwards, I do not think there's a problem with your ABS. It seems the previous owner had a front/rear fail safe relay failure and tried to disable the ABS by pulling the yellow wire from the pressure sensor. When you brake hard, do the tires lock up ?

The bypass switch I alluded to would be wired in parallel to the two yellow wires leading into the pressure switch. Wire the switch so that you can short the wires ( connect the two together ) to fool the ABS computer into thinking there is enough pressure in the system. In inclement weather, unshort the wires to allow the pump to operate thereby allowing your ABS to operate properly.

Regards

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guys,

I'm having he same problem - the damn modulator pump keeps going on and off contantly. It's loud and embarrassing... just had the valet bring my car around at a posh party and all the yuppies waiting for their bimmers and Ranges heard my '90 LS whining away. Sucked.

Anyway, as per my Acura dealer, the problem could be that the system is not keeping pressure cuz the piece that's supposed to seal off the system is leaking (I forget what that piece is called, a solenoid or something). I had the dealer clean it out and drain and refill the system, which reduced the frequency of the noise but did not eliminate it.

Only solution is a new modulator - $1600 for the part alone unless you find a used one and can install it. I found a used one for $100 but I can't put it in.

Corey

·
Registered
190 Posts
My pump now runs for a couple minutes when I start the car and then shuts off and the ABS light comes one. I'm assuming this is the final stage in the death of the accumulator. Sucks.

·
<3 Legends =)
966 Posts
try engaging it a few times, sometimes the lines just get all sludy from no use

my ABS works perfect, no noises :) and guess what I engage it every week too keep it working :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, Check the fluid level in your abs assembly. It's brake fluid. These assemblies sometimes leak. But its cheaper to put fluid in it than to fix or replace it. Be carefull if you plan on bleeding it because IT WILL SHOOT OUT UNDER HIGH PRESSURE!
if you open the bleed nipple on your abs assembly with the car on.

Best luck.

Joe

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I was getting that lousy noise and was told it was my master cylinder losing pressure.......had it replaced noise gone.....but I still have the problem of the yellow ABS light coming on ALL THE TIME after driving the car for 3-4 minutes......then strangely enough....when I had my car spring washed last year......light went off for a couple of months....don't know if I had ABS....but at least thr damn dash light was off......did some reading somewhere.....and the article said the a majority of ABS problems are electrical...ie.. the sensors......rather than the pumps, accumulators....etc......then one lovely day last fall the ABS light reappeared.....oh well..........

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
TALRUDEBOY: If there's no light and there was before, your abs probably works. It will not activate with simple hard braking... You need to actually have the wheels lock up (hence anti-lock brakes). Now if you do really slam the brakes and they do lock up and you get a tire mark fifty feet long with a bald spot on your tire, then no, your abs doesn't work.

As for my ABS, it works :). No noise except sometimes right after it engages I hear it (but it is very faint). I use it fairly regularly (especially in the winter), trying to avoid the idiots on the road that do stupid shi....

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeh so i decided to take out the 3 fuses because the noise was really bothering me... and i took it out for a spin, of coarse in the rain, and i go around a blind turn and a jeep and a bmw are sitting right there. i accidently locked up the brakes and i slid sideways and amost hit the bmw and an oncoming car. im thinking it might be better to have that noise then have any more close calls. that scared the crap out of me and whats even worse is the bmw was my friends step dad and he is soo pissed at me..... everyone value ur abs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.