Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Coupe not blowing any cold air, compressor and fans fine, was told by AC shop I need expansion valve, dryer and discharge hose. They also want to convert me to 134a. Another shop said I had leak at discharge hose and around compressor. They want to fix leaks and add new dryer but say expansion valve is ok and they advise keeping R12 in it (Florida). Both shops want around $500 for the above mentioned repairs. Any thoughts?
Also,what is involved in the conversion process with a kit? What happens to the R12 in your system? Also, I was told that the system has to be rid of R12 before you put 134 in...vacuum system, new dryer, etc. I could possibly convert and just add 134 as needed. I just don't want to screw up my compressor by mixing R12 and 134 in a do it yourself conversion. Anyone cross this bridge yet?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Conversion kits are around $30, you can get them from KMart (oops they are going out of business - WalMart) but you need a vacuum pump to do it correctly and if there are leaks, you need to find and fix them. You may have to change out the evaporator (I think it has been a long time since I did the conversions - but the instructions with the kit tell you what you need to know).

I would do the conversion because R12 is getting more and more difficult to procure. The R134 is not quite as cold but it works. $500 sounds a bit steep for A/C but I have no idea how much the parts are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts