Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell is wrong with my AC. It is actually a problem that has been on and off for awhile. I had the same problem before and replaced the control unit. It is doing it again...Either the AC is not on at all ( actually the blower..so AC or heat), or when it is switched to full on it comes on full blast. Any ideas? I wonder if there is a relay or switch that controls the fan speed.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Is the vehicle an LS/GS or L model? Need to know if it has Auto Climate Control or not.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
A/C is a big theme to discuss of any problems. Possible reasons could be...

Self check diagnosis of "Triple Pressure Switch"

If you want to check the A/C triple pressure switch it is on the high pressure line going to the dryer/receiver (in front next to condensor). If there is NO continuity between the #1 and #2 terminals, then system pressure needs to be checked. The 1 & 2 terminal are under the rectangular tabs of the switch opening, 180 degrees from each other (opposite). Ignition switch should be off doing this test. If A/C system pressure is OK, then A/C triple pressure switch is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is continuity in this circuit, then either a poor ground for the fan control unit or bad fan control unit could be the cause. I would bet on either low pressure in the system (1) or a bad triple pressure switch (2).

SELF check diagnostics routine of "Climatic Control"

1st of all, the climatic control system contains a self diagnostic function. To activate it, ignition = ON and FAN switch = [AUTO]

After ~ 1 minute press simultaneously [AUTO] and [OFF] switches together.

Did you received a CODE ? If yes (not good), you´ll see it through flashing signals,which appears on the display (climatic control unit)(see below (A) - (G))

Describing of the misc buttons:
=====================

(A) = Cool Fluid Temp Sensor
(B) = Air Mix Control Motor
(C) = Sunlight Sensor
(D) = Temperature (Out) Sensor
(E) = Evaporating Temperatur Sensor
(F) = Modes Control Unit
(G) = Temperature (Inner) Sensor

Through this checking, all functions of the climatic control system will be automatic choosed and confirmed. That´s good for identifying, if you DON´T GET any code by the Self-Diagnostic.

In this case (if you don´t get any codes), it exists a 2nd possibility:

1. Switch ON the FAN switch = [AUTO]
2. Then press simultaneously Button [MODE] and [AUTO] TOGETHER and HOLD these two buttons, if you start the Engine.

What happens here ?
-------------------------
The Climatic Control Unit checks yourself automatically in eight steps (one step needs to be 5 seceonds). If you want to interrupt this step, press [MODE]. If you cancel the entire procedure, press [OFF] or ignition switch to Off.

Temperature, Volumen (capacity) and origin of the airflow must be checked out and camparing of the scheduled value with the table below !

Radiator check

Check to make sure both fans behind the Radiator is working.

Filter check

From the factory, there is no filter, but you can put one in the same place as the 92's and up. Go back a few posts, can't remember which forum...there was a big write up on it.The '91 does not have a filter, but you can put one in. Just get a filter listed for the '92+ and it'll fit.

You're going o have to do a little diagnosis. Remove the glovebox and the air filter. When the A/C starts to get warm, take a look in the slot left by the filter and check if your expansion valve is covered with frost. If it is, you have a partial blockage and it must be replaced.

Refridgerant Fluid

Every A/C will leak out refridgerant, just depends on how bad the leak may be. Get a leak test (dye test) performed and then make sure that the the pressure in the system is correct. Some of these "AC technicians" are a bunch of boneheads and frequently over charge your system, which leads to component failure. A $50 guage is all you need to check the pressure yourself.

Hope this helps...:)

Mike / Cologne (Germany)

·
Registered
744 Posts
DE~AM Mike, glad to see and feel the passion you have for the Legend! I never had a reason to test (jack she~ite) with my AC but I will now.

KNLNGUS

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
DE~AM Mike, glad to see and feel the passion you have for the Legend! I never had a reason to test (jack she~ite) with my AC but I will now.

KNLNGUS
At any time, it happens, that the A/C won´t works - like mine. Until today, I have never found, where I can recharge my fluide R12 (FCKW) here in Cologne. But it seems to be, to refill my complete system with R136 (Non FCKW). But it´s expensive ~ 300€ ! :mad:

Mike / Cologne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cheesyb said:
What the hell is wrong with my AC. It is actually a problem that has been on and off for awhile. I had the same problem before and replaced the control unit. It is doing it again...Either the AC is not on at all ( actually the blower..so AC or heat), or when it is switched to full on it comes on full blast. Any ideas? I wonder if there is a relay or switch that controls the fan speed.
I have the same problem with the control on my '92L coupe. I don't know enough about the Legend like MikeD does but his explanation is a lot more elaborate than what is suspect.

When I have it on, sometimes I will hit a bad bump and the fan would shut off. If I switch it to full blast, it will come on. So basically I do not get variable fan; just off or full blast. This I figure must either be a bad reostat( or potentiometer) on the fan or a bad contact on the reostat which would cause it to come on and off(variable speed vs no variable speed).

I am hoping that its just a bad contact, then it would be an easy fix after the struggle to get to the unit.

Say MikeD, is it possible to swap in the auto climate control from an LS to an L that has manual control? Is everthing just built into the control unit on the auto climate or are there some other sensors built in the dash that needs to be included?

Someone had the auto climate control on Ebay a while back and I wasn't sure if it would work on my L or not.

:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen.

While filliping through my HELMS, there is a relay - one is high speed, and the other is variable or LOW.

Unfortunately, I don't carry my HELM with me or I would be able to quickly flip the page that describes what I am talking about. There are two relay that are side by side (I believe near the blower assy) and one is for high the other is for low/ variable.

KNLNGUS

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh, that is what I wantedto hear. Acura always gives me a quote for over $1000 but I know it is ust a relay. If any of you guys have a helms and a spare second...could you look and see where the Variable/low speed relay is? Thanks fellas

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
Re: Re: AC full speed or no speed

Coupe-Dude said:

Say MikeD, is it possible to swap in the auto climate control from an LS to an L that has manual control? Is everthing just built into the control unit on the auto climate or are there some other sensors built in the dash that needs to be included?
Someone had the auto climate control on Ebay a while back and I wasn't sure if it would work on my L or not. :)
Hi Coupe-Dude,
Nope!!! Because, here are two totally different systems available.
The "L" type has ´Non-Climate Control System´ and the "LS" type has ´Climatic Control System´. All these units contains various sensors which have to be added or replaced and also complete different wiring. What you plan is nearly impossible.
The best, what you can do, is to buy an used LS/GS instead and would be cheaper.

Mike / Cologne (Germany)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but see post #3. If you wish to go one step further, swap the 2 relays at the blower motor (pull the glovebox).If you still have only high speed the power transistor is bad.
If you now have low speeds, the relay is bad.

·
Registered
282 Posts
AC diagnosis method on 90 ls

will the self diagnosis steps for the ac work on a 90 ls with the auto climate controll?

thansk

·
Registered
301 Posts
A picture is worth a 1000 words. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Spiff!! I got it!!

In this forum it seems that there are two kinds of people - those that have the manual and those that don't. You definitely have the manual. I don't but thanks for sharing the information. I am sure everyone will appreciate it.

Can't wait to fix that relay!:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Spiff -help

Thanks for the diagram -
It appears they are the same locations for the fad fan control unit you mentioned earlier -

In earlier posts -others have also hinted teh $150 part has solved many problems -

is there any way that you know to test it or bypass it to confirm other components are not the culprit?

I have not tested the triple switch yet- -can I jump it and just run the compressor off a switch to 12v?

this way could over pressureize teh system ?

Need to get some solution because I cant even roll down my windows for a few days - new tint- FL-summer -100degrees

thansk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts