Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
RL comparison to BMW, Lexus, Mercedes?

I need some feedback please. Since you are owners of the new 2005 Acura RL which I am looking at right now (I currently have a 2001 Acura CLS), did anyone compare the RL to BMW, Lexus, Mercedes or whatever and can you give me any feedback on the comparisons plus may I have your opinions of your RL's?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I compared the RL to all the German brands, Audi, BMW and Mercedes. None matched the RL in my estimation, unless I wanted to pop for a V-8 and then add still more options to equip the vehicle similarly to the RL.

The Mercedes 4-Matic just drove too "heavy". Its handling was compromised and its performance slowed. The BMW drove well, but it just didn't match the Acura's interior, exterior, equipment level, or reliability ratings. (The 530i that I drove had several equipment quirks occur during the test drive.)

The Audi A6 rode like an old truck in my opinion. I liked the interior and fit, but again, worried about the reliability. I thought the styling was mediocre though. The front didn't bother me, but the overall shape was tired (perhaps too similar to the previous generation). It was the closest competitor to the RL in features though. It just couldn't corner, ride or perform as well.

If you want to spend considerably more and opt for a V-8, each of the Acura German competitors offers some extra flash, although the BMW 5 series is not available with AWD at any cost.

I reviewed the material about the forthcoming M series from Infinity too. There is one AWD variant in that model's lineup, a V6 I believe. But I could not get past the Chevy Impala-like rear quarter panel and the bulbous front end on the show car. And the interior illustrations looked like they copied BMW dashes, but did them in a Jetsons style. Definitely not a car for me. But then, with one or two exceptions, Infiniti has been an also-ran in the luxury market for years.

I opted for the RL because it's a great automobile first. And because it's a great value second. The reliability factor was the icing on the cake. It's just weeks old, but I must tell you, my RL purchase has put a smile on my face that shows no signs of fading. It's an extraordinarily rewarding automobile to drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with what DCRL said except wanted to add BMW5 will be offered in AWD next spring I have heard.

Bang for buck points to Acura. And you get past reliability on top of that!

Maughan, I suggest you do a search with the items BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Infinity in the search line and you will find some good threads as I remember.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I traded a Lincoln Mark VIII for the 2001 CLS, after 8 trips to the dealer in 2 years and woving never again to buy a Detroit product. I have probably never had a car I liked as intensely as the CLS but traded it on a Lexus ES after 2 yrs and 34K miles. Profoundly disliked the Lex -- no Nav inout unless stopped being a major bummer. Have traded the Lex for the RL and dealer says car came in this morning. Driveway being dug up, I had to ask him to keep the car for a week or so. But my decision for the RL was easy after an exciting test drive on a smooth but very curvy road. This is the 60th car I have bought, which includes 2 MB's, two BMW's, 4 Jags (crazy, I know, but I used to like the design; no it makes me wanna puke), 4 VW's, a few Volvos, some very crappy Ford products, ditto GM's and a load of fifty-buck Plymouths back when all cars looked the same. The German cars no longer interest me; the V8 argument is mostly a matter of personal superstition and personally I treasure reliability, convenience, comfort and perhaps a smattering of gizmos above issues of exterior lines. I thought my Lex was ugly, but the reliability was fabulous, as was the case with the CLS. I think the redisgned BMW looks like an art nouveau reneissance, but that bothers me a lot less than persistently troubilng reliabaility reports. Perhaps you have had the experience I mostly have when buying a car that cost more than low 4 figures: A serious case of buyer's remorse. The CLS was the first time I didn't; the RL the second. After an exceptionally long test drive (since they were hoping for a returning Acura customer, they let me do what I wanted) I wrote a check for the car and told them to keep the Lexus, then took a cab home. I have not regretted it for a second and checking these fora has supported my decision. Best of luck with yours!

·
Follow Me
1,271 Posts
mungoac said:
I traded a Lincoln Mark VIII for the 2001 CLS, after 8 trips to the dealer in 2 years and woving never again to buy a Detroit product. I have probably never had a car I liked as intensely as the CLS but traded it on a Lexus ES after 2 yrs and 34K miles. Profoundly disliked the Lex -- no Nav inout unless stopped being a major bummer. Have traded the Lex for the RL and dealer says car came in this morning. Driveway being dug up, I had to ask him to keep the car for a week or so. But my decision for the RL was easy after an exciting test drive on a smooth but very curvy road. This is the 60th car I have bought, which includes 2 MB's, two BMW's, 4 Jags (crazy, I know, but I used to like the design; no it makes me wanna puke), 4 VW's, a few Volvos, some very crappy Ford products, ditto GM's and a load of fifty-buck Plymouths back when all cars looked the same. The German cars no longer interest me; the V8 argument is mostly a matter of personal superstition and personally I treasure reliability, convenience, comfort and perhaps a smattering of gizmos above issues of exterior lines. I thought my Lex was ugly, but the reliability was fabulous, as was the case with the CLS. I think the redisgned BMW looks like an art nouveau reneissance, but that bothers me a lot less than persistently troubilng reliabaility reports. Perhaps you have had the experience I mostly have when buying a car that cost more than low 4 figures: A serious case of buyer's remorse. The CLS was the first time I didn't; the RL the second. After an exceptionally long test drive (since they were hoping for a returning Acura customer, they let me do what I wanted) I wrote a check for the car and told them to keep the Lexus, then took a cab home. I have not regretted it for a second and checking these fora has supported my decision. Best of luck with yours!
Wow you have had a lot of cars in your time. Soooo.. what is your occupation? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
So let me just give you my 2 cents on BMW real quick. I can't tell you how good the 05 RL is yet since I don't take delivery for another 12 hours, but, my 02 745 is outta here. Bought the damn thing as a certified pre-owned 3 months ago from a BMW dealer. It spent 10 of its first 60 days in the shop. Three seperate trips, two of the three for computer problems. Now the service folks were nice and all, and BMW always gave me a loaner, plus BMW prides itself on developing a relationship between your service department rep and the owner....but you know what? I don't want a damn relationship! I don't want to know the guys name! I want a car that I take in for oil changes regularly, and that I wash regularly, and other then that, it takes me where I want to go, period. Anyway, there were certainly things to like about the BMW, that V8 is sweet, and boy does it go, even in the 745. But I'll trade the 33hp and 70 ft/lb of torque for something that just runs. Also if you want useable NAV, skip the BMWs, all of em. Useable voice...same thing, BMW voice commands are a joke. Bluetooth on the 5 series now I believe, 7 is not working and no real prospect until the revised model next year.

Last thing I can think to say about the BMWs is that they are kind of like a hot Hollywood actresses, very nice to look at, fun to ride, but unreliable and very high maintenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.