Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to changed the whole distributor unit im talking about everything the plastic and the metal,so by doing this is it gonna screw my timing up or not,the reason why I m asking this question is because i just put an acura engine in my sterling but they both have different distributor the one that came with the acura has a connector on top of it but the one on my sterling does not, it has a wire coming from the distr going directly to the coil,I could not keep the wire kit that came with the acura because it has 4 big connectors that connects beside the wiper motor but the sterling only has 3,I dont want to change the distrb unit and end up with valves hitting the piston and that was why I had to change the engine the first time,thank you all so much for any info

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think I was 13 when my Legend needed a new distributor, and so I don't remember so much about that. Sorry I can't be of more help, but let me tell you what I know...

I am fairly sure that the timing being off will NOT cause you to bend any valves. It will simply cause your car to idle roughly, and maybe misfire. If you need to adjust the timing, you can only do so when the engine is on, so that you can see how much you need to adjust. What would cause the valves to bend would be if your timing BELT broke.

I am not sure how you would be able to make the distributor work. Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1827540234
It looks like you can in fact use the same cap and rotor on the Legend and Sterling. Is the wire you speaking of coming out of the distributor cap?

Actually, I am surprized you even got the Legend motor in there. Don't the Legends and Sterlings have different engine mounts?

In any event, I hope you get this sorted out as quickly and painlessly as possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the sterling and acura are the same 100% the mount are also the same if you want to see a picture of my sterling engine I will be glad to send to you,the fact that on ebay it says the distrb for acura and sterling means they are the same,yes the female connector is actully coming out of the metal unit of the distributor but since you said that removing the unit and put it back in would not screw the timing up I would try that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.