Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.vtec.net/news/items/396.html

The above link is a news story published a while ago about the next gen Legend. The dates were obviously a bit optimistic but I trust the details as I have seen them reported elsewhere.

I'm just curious as to what you guys think about it. Personally. I welcome a real flagship because the current RL's are real embarrasing. I mean, how could the company that are leaders in innovation at all other levels expect to call its slowest car the flagship? Also, I've been inside the RL and the soft seats and spacious interior don't really say "I'm the the TL's Daddy". It seems somewhat outdated and the exterior is a step down from the KA7. It looks like a LS400 knock off.

next we have the Coupe Issue. A luxury company should have a rare coupe version of their flagship. The KA8 6spd is still a status symbol today. And look at the Mercedes CL. That is the most rare and sweetest looking German Coupe out there. Acura should consider an RL-S or something similar just for status' sake. People spending $55k+ on a car don't care about practicality. So if you are gonna go all the way go all the way !!

Am I alone here? Holla Back.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Sounds really exciting.... although I wont be able to afford it. But I guess we can all beleive it when we see it, and I think you are right that the dates are really optimistic.

I think the interioir of the legend is almost identicle to that of the RL. I think their flagship should be able to compete with benz and beemer and lexus and infiniti, especially with a v8 RWD setup.:)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Unless I hit Powerball (lotto), that will be the only way I would get it... I have this thing about getting a ride that cost as much as if not more than a house(and I need that really bad). Too bad the idea seems a little late when everyone else is out of the gates and running with their V-8s. Lol...but I think I'll play vulture and fly around and wait for someone to have an accident (hopefully occupants not hurt) and hope the car is toast and be the first one at the junkyard to retrieve the engine for my coupe.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
If Acura came out with V-8 coupe (manual or auto) I'd be all over like a $10 whore on Las Vegas Blvd. I like the idea, of the V-8 that is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well if you were going to spend 70k on a car wouldn't you prefer the M5?

Personally there are 5 sedans I'd buy before I'd even consider buying the current RL. For me, or rather for my location the only selling point the RL had over most of the other sedans in it's class is that it is fwd and it sounds like that is about to change as well.

If the new RL retains it's current price tag then I'd consider buying it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
it's bout time!!

thank you honda/acura...it's about time even rumors about this come around, i like everything about it, except the price, 70k?!?!? ***! even the lex's/infiniti's aren't going for that much. c'mon now bring it to like 40-50's then it would draw more people.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
I think im gonna wait around in a salvage yard and get the first v8 and rwd setup that gets wrecked. Finally.
They finally get the picture. oh well. took long enough. and a coupe is definatly necessary.
Lias, why did you like the fwd?
anyway, i personally thought that the TL was the next generation legend.
(have you sat in the back seat of a Legend, TL and RL? i didnt think so!)
But this is definatly a step in the right direction
peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Honda does not make V-8 because tey are japanese company and they get taxed by the size of there engines. Why yould Honda make a V-8 so not one person in japan would buy it. But im sure they will be able to make one hell of a V8

·
Registered
847 Posts
CODY690 said:
Honda does not make V-8 because tey are japanese company and they get taxed by the size of there engines. Why yould Honda make a V-8 so not one person in japan would buy it. But im sure they will be able to make one hell of a V8
this is the top luxury market we are talking about here, and if Infinity and Lexus sells their v8 with ease, so will Honda if they do it right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree Lias. Its eith FWD or AWD for me. If they ever made an AWD 6spd TL I'm so there!! The RL's are outta my $$ range. Current or future.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
LiasLegend said:
Well if you were going to spend 70k on a car wouldn't you prefer the M5?

Personally there are 5 sedans I'd buy before I'd even consider buying the current RL. For me, or rather for my location the only selling point the RL had over most of the other sedans in it's class is that it is fwd and it sounds like that is about to change as well.

If the new RL retains it's current price tag then I'd consider buying it.
M5:confused: BMW!!!!! They get the gas face, BIG TIME!!!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You can keep your BMW's 70k for a M5 when I can go a get a regular used 5 series put a kit on and some M5 wheels all for around 40 and still have 30k in my pocket, so what he will leave me in the dust what difference would it make if I'm just a cuzier?? makes no freakin since same with porche's why would I spend over a 100k on one and the guy next to me at the light spent only 70k for his and both our cars are dang near identical so what I'll leave him at the light just to get to the next light, for another 30k??? just so I can say 'hey I beat this other Porche to the next light' Pllllllllllease, but hey if I got the money that 100k Porche is mine hehehahahahahahahaha. OOppss I mean a 02' NXS.. Forget the Porche too common..

Oh yeah were talking RL, 70k for an RL hahahahahaha Lexus will then be my new baby the LS430 only 53k with all the goodies I want on it.

I would think that if they scrap the CL it would leave open the path to an awsome RWD RL coupe they can have it in two trim lines a V8 and VTEC V6. Thats what I'm talkin.

I think even if they had one now FWD v6 RL coupe I would get it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
HERE'S MY TWO CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion the idea of a V8 Honda is just what the company needs to shed there mundane image. Consumers have been waiting for Honda to do somethings new for a long time now. Redesigning there line-up will attract new and previous customers. As far as a true rear wheel drive car is concerned I honestly think that the Honda S2000 was the test mule to see if they could build a strong reliable rear wheel drive car. As far as a bigger coupe is concerned I too think one is needed. Think about it, all the big guns have them Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Cadillac and I have a feeling that Infinity may build something bigger and better than the G35 coupe. In order to prove superiority Honda must show that they have what it takes to take on the worlds best and that means a bigger and badder sedan, coupe and sportscar. Now that Honda finally realizes the task at hand I wouldn't be surprised if the Legend made a come back. They sold like hotcakes once ( and they still are in the used car segment ) and they are gonna do it again. With a name like LEGEND you have to live up to the name sake. So everyone get out your check books, purchase those lotto and Big game tickets because the splash that Honda is gonna make with there new sedan, coupe, and NSX is gonna be a big one. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Mr Bigs I think I'm going to have to agree with ya, although I highly doubt the name Legend will be spelled out across the trunk of these vehicles in the U.S. but I do feel and truely believe Honda has some serious stew brewing at this moment and will take the market by storm wether we like the new style or not
which all depends on the folks in the Marketing & Design division hopfully they have learned from their past (the Legend) and present (RL) situations (success and failure) and also look at the successful direction of the big three (Mecedes/Lexus/BMW) its the people who buy those three you want to target. Honda have everyone else (domestic) with the Civic/Accord/S2000 etc. Acura needs a hook they are having the same struggles as Infinity in sales with their flagships. Acura's are obvious though, drop the V6 and FWD and the conservative design and the people will come..... Again. Man If only we could talk these people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.