Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a extra harmonic balancer for sale. if u have any questions or want some more info write to my email :)
[email protected]

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
ehhh..not possible...the legend does not have one

·
Registered
380 Posts
it has to be after market because ^^^ is right^^^ pics price if its after market

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CEN2MENTAL95 i think u should do ur research because acura legend does have a harmonic balancer. thats the pulley where ur alternator belt and one more belt is conected cant remmember which one it is. but that pulley is called harmonic balancer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if anyone wants pics. just write to my e-mail i'll send u some. i also have some other parts for legend 2-nd gen. like mirrors and all that :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
CEN2MENTAL95 i think u should do ur research because acura legend does have a harmonic balancer. thats the pulley where ur alternator belt and one more belt is conected cant remmember which one it is. but that pulley is called harmonic balancer
Lol, please show me a photo of a C32 engine with a harmonic balancer. No 2nd Gen. Legend came with one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i donno but when that pulley broke in the shop they told me its a harmonic balancer. and i ordered one online but it didnt get here on time so they ordered one too. and i just got tha one that i ordered online a couple of days ago and i cant return it so i wanna sell it

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
wikipedia.org said:
A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper, torsional damper or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration.

Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in synch with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft. The damper is composed of two elements: a mass and an energy dissipating element. The mass resists the acceleration of the vibration and the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element absorbs the vibrations.

Over time, the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element can deteriorate from age, heat, cold, or exposure to oil or chemicals. Unless rebuilt or replaced, this can cause the crankshaft to develop cracks, resulting in crankshaft failure.

There has been a trend at times by some "performance enthusiasts" to remove the harmonic balancers on their cars. The argument is that they aren't necessary and their mass reduces the performance of the engine. Others[attribution needed] argue that this is not worth it, because the danger of damage to the engine from the vibrations the damper is intended to prevent is too high.

While net engine output can be increased without harmonic balancers, in professional race cars harmonic balancers are still commonly equipped, for reasons ranging from safety concerns to regulations. Almost all modern car manufacturers, even "performance" car makers and specialty tuners, include a harmonic balancer on their vehicles, and removal voids vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you bl420 for backing me up.

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
Moved to Marketplace. Might be helpful if you posted a price and a part number if it's still in the package. For future reference, any mechanic that mistakes an idler pulley for a harmonic balancer can't find his ass with both hands and a flashlight and needs to be working on lawnmowers.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
yeah it isn't a harmonic balancer its just a crank pulley
+1. Our crank pulleys IIRC don't have that "rubber/clutch/fluid" element the wikipedia description above is speaking about. Hence they're not harmonic balancers or even dampeners....just pulleys.

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
whatever your terms are.... i need this, mine just split apart so need to get my car back on the road, throw me prices and shipping to 06098 [editing] NVM :x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts