Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today and a GS 400 passed me. Now I was thinking Acura/Honda has nothing that can compete with the GS 400, we can match everything else nissian and toyota puts out, but not GS 400, and don't say the NSX because there is a big differnce in price.

What do you think? :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Correct, Acura has nothing in the same leauge as the Lexus V-8 powered GS400/430.

The new CL Type S with 260hp can hang with the IS series, as well as the 225hp GS300.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe that Acura is developing a powerful V8 to put in the RL (along with rear-wheel drive). Perhaps this can compete, although it may more directly compete with LS430, Q45.

·
Registered
143 Posts
v8

wow.. a honda v8, that would be nuts. i heard a long time ago, when the new nsx was still in design phase, that they would be dropping a new v8 into the nsx.... i guess they never got around to developing the engine. that would be bada$$

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Acura developing a V8 from 1991-1995 = cool.

Acura developing a V8 from 96+ in USA = not cool.

End of story.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Honda engineers are kinda elitist in Japan. They always win the "Best Engine Awards" for concepts and new applications of their own technology. (Don't believe the maxima heads. The maxima wins best 6 cylinder in one US magazine consistently whereas the rest of the mags here and abroad world recognize Honda and BMW as the leaders in the industry).

Anyway, being the elitists they are, Honda engineers pride themselves on getting more from less. Thats why Honda was the first (correct me if I'm wrong here) to produce an naturally aspirated 260hp V6. I'm expecting Honda to shock the world by putting another V6 in the next Gen RL but incorporate some new technology that yields performance numbers similar to higher displacement engines from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I think the word is that Honda is developing a V8 based on the S2000 engine, and placing it in the Legend before tuning the same V8 for the NSX.

More from less may still be the theme here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Every magazine points to a new Honda V8 for the NSX and RL. I'm kinda a skeptical. I can definately see one for the NSX but the RL and NSX are not as closely mated (development wise) as the Accord and TL. So the specuculation that a change in one is indicative of a change in the other is a mistake that many of the magazines are making if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think it's about time that Honda/Acura came out with their version of V8 - that is if they are even devloping one!
I have been hearing about it for such a **** long time but haven't seen anything as yet!

:mad:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Boston Speed said:
Honda engineers are kinda elitist in Japan. They always win the "Best Engine Awards" for concepts and new applications of their own technology. (Don't believe the maxima heads. The maxima wins best 6 cylinder in one US magazine consistently whereas the rest of the mags here and abroad world recognize Honda and BMW as the leaders in the industry).

Anyway, being the elitists they are, Honda engineers pride themselves on getting more from less. Thats why Honda was the first (correct me if I'm wrong here) to produce an naturally aspirated 260hp V6. I'm expecting Honda to shock the world by putting another V6 in the next Gen RL but incorporate some new technology that yields performance numbers similar to higher displacement engines from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.
Regardless of what hp numbers honda pulls out of its engines, whether it be a 240 hp 4 banger or a 260 hp V6, I think we can all agree these engines still lack in one important area: torque. Take the S2000 engine for example. Sure it is great to get that power out of a 4 banger, but what good is it if your torque is no better than an accord and you have to rev to 9K to get that hp power? Just my opinion. Maybe a higher displacement V8 can fix some of these torque woes for honda.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Refer to Motor Trend (July, 02. Page 32) reliable source? Who knows.

The DN-X will be V6 hybric power most likely similar to the Hybrid Lexus (In the movie Minority Report).

They say a Acura V8 hinges on Toyota's success in F1. Go Toyota?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
TClegend said:
Refer to Motor Trend (July, 02. Page 32) reliable source? Who knows.

The DN-X will be V6 hybric power most likely similar to the Hybrid Lexus (In the movie Minority Report).

They say a Acura V8 hinges on Toyota's success in F1. Go Toyota?
I read that too.:(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Update!

Its been a year since thise thread has been discussed and it looks like there will in fact be a 300hp V6 AWD RL coming down the pipeline. How reliable is this source, who knows? The bottom line I was right!!

... Just kidding

After talking to some local Acura Sales persons, I've learned that the reason Acura doesn't really care about making a V8 is because they feel that doing so would not gain them a greater share of the market. In fact, they feel they would be loosing some to customers theat like the fuel economy advantages of a six over an 8.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=38933

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
thanks for reviving an old thread.

No one knows for sure as yet if new RL will have 300HP. It's all speculation at this point but I'm sure they're working on something big.
I've also heard that it may have IMA technology.

But again, Honda's mantra is doing more with less. So if they can get the performance of 8 by using 6 and IMA, I say go for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I forgot where I heard it but I think that for the new NSX, Honda is developing a big V6 with some sort of small motor that will be directly powering two of the wheels. I know...it sounds wierd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts