Acura Legend Forum banner

Acura TL Engine Cradle (Swap info reference)

15K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  92drls 
#1 ·
For anyone possibly wanting to swap a 2.7 for a 3.2 or 3.5 Litre from an Acura TL. These are pics of the engine cradle from an '05 TL with the 3.2, but I sure its the same as the 3.5 in the Type-S. I've even included some pics of the underside of the engine with the cradle removed.

The large mount is on the FRONT of the car for reference. I'll try to include measurements later, I couldn't find my tape measure. The cradle itself is aluminum, and as you can see, it wouldn't be all that difficult to relocate mounts with some aluminum welding/hole tapping.

Why am I doing this? I'm gonna need some competition from the G1 group once the turbo is on my 2.7. I'm not sure if I'm gonna tackle this swap myself, but I might a few years down the road. I don't mind helping you guys out, as long as SOMEONE gets serious about a G1 engine swap! As far as the NSX swap goes, I wouldn't attempt it. The 3.5 in the Type-S is rated only 5 HP less than the 3.2 in the NSX, and you don't have to worry about fitting in those HUGE dual-cam heads.

See less See more
#4 ·
I will tell you thou, the G2 drivetrains sits MUCH farther back then the TL. :)
Only cuz the engine's facing 90 degrees a different direction. I really don't know if you could incorporate this cradle with a G2 swap because of that tranny sitting back there, but definitely on a G1. Maybe one day I'll find a G2 6-Speed and I'll start thinking up some crazy shit for you guys!:woot:

Everything sits in the same spot as a G1: motor, trans, TB, and the shift linkage for a M/T will go in from the BACK instead of the FRONT on an NSX setup. Plus, the idea of having a 3 POINT FRIGGIN FIVE LITRE in a G1 gives me wood.:yes:

#5 ·
Dude, you gotta slap that motor on the G1. Now thats gonna be a crazy ass prototype :bigok:

#10 ·
Well I don't have one anymore. They were being difficult. Not enough money, and too many requirements... they wanted me at 15 shows a year, for 3 years once the car's done. And I couldn't even pick the shows! It would have been fine if they wanted to fork over more $ than they were, but they didn't go for it, so I gave them every dime back, and invested on my own. Better in the long run... 100% MY car, ya know.

#13 ·
how possible do you think this would be?? and would there even be any more room for modifications?

#14 ·
Not much room to work to begin with, and the engine with the tranny doesn't take up that much more space than the engine/trans. in a G1. The major issues I see are the obvious suspension concerns, and actually getting the cradle to bolt to the car.

I'll get measurements as soon as I can, but ya know I'm in the middle of a whole lotta projects at once right now. Where do I find the time.....

#15 ·
if all goes well i will start my swap in feb 09. the only thing that scares me is the impending suspension issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.