Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Additional Benefit = Less Wind Noise

Today I did the Sunroof Tilt mod during my lunch hour using the DIY http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f13/moonroof-tilt-diy-53038/ It took me less than 40 minutes (taking my time, cleaning things as I went along) and only required 4 tools.

Since I purchased my car, I have noticed wind noise from the Sunroof at any speed above 40 mph. I noticed if I put a little upward pressure on the sunroof it went away. I use to close the sunshade to hide the noise.

Now that I have the tilt option, I am able to slightly press the button so the sunroof raises a millimeter and seal the sunroof properly and the noise is gone. Ahhh its so quiet now... :thumbsup:

I know I have read on here about other members that complained about wind noise, so this may be an easy fix for you too.

The DIY is great, but some additinal hints that may be helpful:
* Step 7 - Sedan - the two 10mm nuts on each side are under plastic covers that need to be removed.
* Step 7 - I had to unscrew the 2 screws and pull the drain channel out to do this mod, it was not optional for me.
* Step 8 - I used a Offset Ratchet Screwdriver instead of needle nose pliers.
* Step 9 - also need to reinstall wind deflector if you have a 91-93.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think the official fix for the wind noise problem is to add shims
Yeah I looked into buying shims before the winter, but you are half way thru the mod in order to add the shims, so may as well spend the extra 15-20 minutes and have the tilt option, too. Also did not have to buy anything to do it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Can you guys please post a picture of what the tilt mod looks like completed? I think I might have to do this mod when the weather gets better...

Thanks in advance,
SaGe69

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I don't know if you can tell but the car in my sig on the right is mine. It has the sunroof tilted up. It just tilts about 2 inches.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you guys please post a picture of what the tilt mod looks like completed? I think I might have to do this mod when the weather gets better...

Thanks in advance,
SaGe69
here you go...these are functional pics, not artistic pics...

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
have you done any high speed spirited driving yet? has it closed on you by itself due to the increased windforce?

this mod scares me a bit....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you done any high speed spirited driving yet? has it closed on you by itself due to the increased windforce?

this mod scares me a bit....
I have only had the mod done for 19 hours now and it is snowing today, so no, nothing higher than 50 mph on my commute home last night.

I remember your post from earlier this month thinking you couldn't handle doing it yourself. It was that post that made me decide to do it. This is the first mod I have done to my car and usually I don't try to do more than oil changes, spark plugs, air filter changes, tire changes, etc. The FIY was easy to follow (plus see a few tips I posted above). You can do it.

With all the posts about this mod, if there was an issue like you state above, it would have surfaced several times by now in the threads.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
With all the posts about this mod, if there was an issue like you state above, it would have surfaced several times by now in the threads.
thanks for your faith in me ;)

but I'm wondering....I think I've read two people who've had trouble with it shutting itself.....

but how many have had it done w/o problems?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the sunroof mod, done and i have went way over 100mph and no problems yet, after you complete the mod...you will notice that the roof actually locks itself in place. You just have to train yourself to close it properly, it just takes a little patience at first but after you get the hang of it its nothing significant. Then again what dosent take time and needed extra attention with a legend?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
I really want to do this and I'm not worried about messing up the actual work, but I am worried about something going wrong later on down the road. Does anyone know of any future problems from doing this mod?

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
just an FYI. don't try and close the roof at speed. 60mph+ fair warning. things can break, maybe not the first time but it will happen.

also at speed. 100mph+, 80mph+ it is possible for the open sunroof to raise up a little, DON'T TRY AND CLOSE IT THEN!!! you will damage it.

damn plastic components.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I did the tilt mod on my 94 Legend the day I bought it, I drove it over a year without any issues. I don't think speed will cause it to close on its own, I had my 94 up to 130mph once and it stayed up just fine. I recently did it on my 93 and it's still one of my favorite mods.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
I did the tilt mod on my 94 Legend the day I bought it, I drove it over a year without any issues. I don't think speed will cause it to close on its own, I had my 94 up to 130mph once and it stayed up just fine. I recently did it on my 93 and it's still one of my favorite mods.
it wont close on it own. BUT it can lift up on its own., if the roof isn't up all the way, and even if its up all the way.

really the biggest issue is trying to close it at speed. it will everytime break the lift up stopper. god knows how many times i've replaced mine.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
just an FYI. don't try and close the roof at speed. 60mph+ fair warning. things can break, maybe not the first time but it will happen.

also at speed. 100mph+, 80mph+ it is possible for the open sunroof to raise up a little, DON'T TRY AND CLOSE IT THEN!!! you will damage it.

damn plastic components.
this is exactly what scares me....knowing my luck, it will happen to me

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
^^^ I forgot about that, yeah so as long as you can remember to close it when you're just cruising at lower speeds then you'll be alright.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
^^^ I forgot about that, yeah so as long as you can remember to close it when you're just cruising at lower speeds then you'll be alright.
yea, i do have a project i wanted to work on to modify the tracks to get the metal piece from newer honda sunroofs to fit, as they had it on EDM and JDM legends.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when you do this mod, can the roof also fully retract like normal or do you trade that function for the tilt ability?
You get both functions - retract fully back like normal or tilt up about 2 inches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts