Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is my first post here, and hopefully nowhere near my last. It looks like a great site you guys have got here, and this seems like the best place for me to ask a question about buying an 88 Legend Coupe.
I have never seen the car in person, or driven it, so the final decision will be made then, but I'd like to know if I'm just wasting my time with the car. I've been dealing through e-mail (it was a internet posting).
Here are the details on the car, straight from his post:

1988 Acura Legend Coupe 2.7L V6..
Features:

Black exterior, tan interior (cloth)
5 speed,
Power windows, mirrors, sunroof, doorlocks
cruise control, A/C, strong clutch and engine
320,000KM's {320000 Kilometers equals 198,839 Miles}
New brakes (all around..pads and rotors-less than 7 months old )
New NGK plug wires, new Iridium spark plugs and new distributor cap (less than 6 months old)
New cold-air Intake (less than 5 months old)
New battery (less than 5 months old--3 years warranty)
Two new tires (front)
New alternator (less than 6 months old--2 Years warranty)
New timing belt and water pump (not installed)
New fender trim (not installed)
New Ground wire kit
I just had the engine flushed and radiator flushed

I've e-mailed him a couple of times, and it is not e-tested (emissions) and is not safetied. To pass the safety it requires upper ball joints, outer tie rods, and front springs.
It does have some rust on it (as all older Honda's do around the wheel-wells), but the body seems to be in decent condition, given it's age.
He is asking $1000 {$840.41 US dollars} , but he seems flexible and should be able to get him down to ~$800 {~$672.33 US dollars}.
Basically what I'm asking is; should I be interested in this car, or should I move on due to repairs needed, and mileage on the engine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and rough estimates on the cost of repairs will be even more appreciated. :)

thanks

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Other than the repairs that are needed to get it to pass inspection (who knows what else they find when the garage starts to tear into it), the red flags are the iridium plugs, cold air intake and ground wire kit.

I prefer to purchase vehicles that are in bone stock condition - no mods.

It could take a lot more in addition to the purchase price to get it road worthy.

I'd pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.
Is there something wrong with the iridium plugs, cold air intake and ground wire kit, or do you just prefer to have it stock? I don't mind the mods because they are just basic things, that can be removed at any time if I wanted to. Something like interior work, or a body kit would bother me a lot more.

I know exactly what you mean; once the garage gets into it, there's always more than expected.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I just purchased a 88 L coupe 5 spd last week. I paid $1600 and mine needs most of the work that one already has done. The only thing that worries me is the water pump and timing belt ready but not installed. That makes me wonder why it is not installed and why he knows it needs it. That is what I would look into with more detail.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget, that's $1000 Canadian ;)

I'm still looking into it. Just seems like a lot of miles.
How long are Legend's usually good for? Is there a lot of common problems, or worst case (as with my B21A Prelude), oil burning?

Great opinions/advice so far guys. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I've got 267K miles on my original motor and (auto) tranny..you maintain them...they don't break!!!!! I just did my 1st exhaust replacement. These engines are known for NOT burning oil and for NOT having head gasket problems !

·
Registered
420 Posts
The timing belt and water pump are only part of the job. There are cam seals and a timing belt tensioner that needs to be replaced. Some people even do the oil pump and hose replacement during this job.

How are the engine mounts? Another big ticket repair that needs attention at 200K miles.

Do a VIN check to see if any accidents or theft occured.

·
Registered
420 Posts
iggy5050 said:
VIN check would be nice, except that it doesn't work in Canada. It will give info on the car, but sometimes it will miss major things; such as repair or stolen.
I've heard that same problem here in the states also. I don't think it's Canada specific. I personally have not had a bad experience with CarFax but I've only used it once.

Anyway, if you buy the car for $800CA figure another $1500CA+/- to get it in good shape. It should be a fun and great learning experience :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.