Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if any of you guys have a clear answer for this question:
I have a 1994 LS Coupe with 6-speed manual trans and I've noticed that the shifting sometimes seems to get stuck while trying to go from second to first gear after slowing down. I've been reading a lot about changing the trans oil(manual) and the differential and it seems like that could be a solution but I just wanna make sure I don't forget anything.

Any of you have advice on what else could be done.
By the way it's only the stick(lever) that seems to get stuck while shifting from second to first or just from neutral to first gear. So all the gears seem a bit hard to shift to but especially to the first gear seems hard.

also what kind of differential oil could be used? I mean I know what the owner's manual tells me to do, but since there's a lot of synthetic oils now with the GL5 classification I just want to know about the viscosity. Some of them goes from 75W140 and that seems a bit of the ratings originally used in our cars but is it usable?

Hope you've got some advice.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
Blip the throttle to help the synchros do their job. When you match the revs, the thing should go right into gear. I have the same problem downshifting into 3rd. Generally I get the RPMs up to about 3.5K-4K (depending on speed) and it shifts right in there.

It's easier to show you than to type it... :(

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Blip the throttle to help the synchros do their job. When you match the revs, the thing should go right into gear. I have the same problem downshifting into 3rd. Generally I get the RPMs up to about 3.5K-4K (depending on speed) and it shifts right in there.

It's easier to show you than to type it... :(
Yeah, I would think its more a synchro issue than something wrong with the trans. My car abosutely will not downshift into first unless I've practically stopped. But then, I'm not driving your car... you say it gets stuck, I would describe it as more like the shifter won't go into the slot for first gear... is that right?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I would think its more a synchro issue than something wrong with the trans. My car abosutely will not downshift into first unless I've practically stopped. But then, I'm not driving your car... you say it gets stuck, I would describe it as more like the shifter won't go into the slot for first gear... is that right?
Yes it's like it won't go into the slot and not actually getting stuck. You can see I'm not from the states and english isn't my language so I guess that sometimes I can make bad descriptions because of a lack of experience using the language, sorry about that.
But ofcourse it should be possible to shift into first gear from second when only going about 10mph or being very close to not moving at all. It's like you said, only if I stop completely will it be easy to bring it to the first gear again.
Sometimes though it won't even go to the first gear when starting the car and putting it into gear, then I have to go from a failed 1st gear shift attempt to the second and then back again and it might work or else I have to do it a couple of times before slipping into the right slot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you are unsure as to when the fluids where changed last, that would be the
first step to do. My tranny is similiar to the above in that to get it to go into
1 st. gear, I have to be at almost a complete stop. However, to make it easier at a stop, I pre-set it into 1 st., and then go back to neutral and then back to 1 st. when I'm ready to take off. Goes very easy then.
There are some post about using GM (General Motors) tranny fluid which I used when I changed my fluid. I haven't driven it enough to tell a difference
but it certainly hasn't hurt the shifting , either.
BTW, you can use 80-90W gear oil in the differential.
Good luck.

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
i had a problem putting my 6spd into 2nd gear, then later 4th gear. Turned out to be the bushings for the shifter linkage. it wasn't a grinding issue you get with a synchro problem, so it physically wouldn't go into those gears.

for fluids. i'd recommend the GM synchromesh fluids. its 10w40 i think

and gear oil for the Diff, i run royal purple in mine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are unsure as to when the fluids where changed last, that would be the
first step to do. My tranny is similiar to the above in that to get it to go into
1 st. gear, I have to be at almost a complete stop. However, to make it easier at a stop, I pre-set it into 1 st., and then go back to neutral and then back to 1 st. when I'm ready to take off. Goes very easy then.
There are some post about using GM (General Motors) tranny fluid which I used when I changed my fluid. I haven't driven it enough to tell a difference
but it certainly hasn't hurt the shifting , either.
BTW, you can use 80-90W gear oil in the differential.
Good luck.
I know I can use the 80-90w gear oil in the differential, since that is what they recommend in the owner's manual.
My question was if it would make any difference using a higher rating since most oils are now synthetic.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well just to make it clear it's not only when shifting back to 1st gear while driving. I can have problems shifting from neutral to 1st after starting the engine. That's why I thought that maybe oil could be part of the problem.
As far as I know the only lockout this trans have is for the reverse gear when changing into 6th gear.

I don't want to seem stupid but I don't know what the bushings for the shifter linkage is because I don't know that term, since like descriped above english isn't my main language and what I know is what I have learned watching american movies and what I was tought in school back in the days. So as far as technical terms in english I can get a bit lost from time to time.
So if someone could explain what the "bushings for the shifter linkage" is in other terms I would understand what you mean.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks but I really got no problem with english in general it's just the technical terms. Even though Denmark is just north of Germany I don't speak german/"deutch" so it really wouldn't be of any help.
Thanks for the answer though.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Yes it's like it won't go into the slot and not actually getting stuck. You can see I'm not from the states and english isn't my language so I guess that sometimes I can make bad descriptions because of a lack of experience using the language, sorry about that.
But ofcourse it should be possible to shift into first gear from second when only going about 10mph or being very close to not moving at all. It's like you said, only if I stop completely will it be easy to bring it to the first gear again.
Sometimes though it won't even go to the first gear when starting the car and putting it into gear, then I have to go from a failed 1st gear shift attempt to the second and then back again and it might work or else I have to do it a couple of times before slipping into the right slot.
Hey, its tough to describe mechanical problems even when you all speak the same language, no worries!!!

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, I'm not sure how long you've been driving your car, or if this is an issue that has recently arisen. But what you're describing, and what a couple others have confirmed/supported sounds like normal synchro stuff to me. Obviously when downshifting, not being able to get into 1st is a synchro problem, you gotta kinda finesse it in there and get used to it. I've experienced the same thing when starting out, shifting from neutral to 1st, I think you just kinda gotta get things rolling and finesse it in.

I know thats not much help. Sorry.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, its tough to describe mechanical problems even when you all speak the same language, no worries!!!

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, I'm not sure how long you've been driving your car, or if this is an issue that has recently arisen. But what you're describing, and what a couple others have confirmed/supported sounds like normal synchro stuff to me. Obviously when downshifting, not being able to get into 1st is a synchro problem, you gotta kinda finesse it in there and get used to it. I've experienced the same thing when starting out, shifting from neutral to 1st, I think you just kinda gotta get things rolling and finesse it in.

I know thats not much help. Sorry.
Thanks for the reply though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.