Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked about fluids before and now the time has come to the engine oil.
I know that there has been a lot of posts about this but I just need a quick answer from experienced Legend owners.
My question is my Acura Legend LS Coupe 6-spd 1994 uses 5-30 as preferred according to my owners manual, but I want to know if using a 5-40 fully synthetic oil will cause any problems? I'm not in any doubt about the API service label or the type(sg, sh and newer) just the viscosity.
What viscosity have you guys been using?

·
Registered
649 Posts
i had switch to 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic at 173k and have no problem. i switch to 10w30 during the season because of the thickness. hope that helps

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
No I don't think 5-40 will cause any problems. Do you do a lot of city driving or mainly cruising on open highways? I think the 5-40 is better suited to driving conditions where you do a lot of fast paced acceleration (gears 1-4) through the city and low/high speed cruising (in 5-6). The difference in your case between the viscosity's is probably negligible. Have you ever read the Bob Is The Oil Guy ? Good info.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first off, yes I do a lot of city driving where the 1-4 gears are in use and changing a lot between them. I simply have to do that even though I know it would be smartest to just use the legend as a highway car. But I use it for highway cruising as well. So it's a mix of both types of driving.
It's just easier to get 5-40 synthetic than the 5-30 synthetic and I want to use synthetic no matter what wise people in here are saying.

by the way thanks for the answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts