Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice as to what is worth paying money for and what isn't. I know we've got people on here that have probably tried all of this stuff, so I'm relying on you guys! Here's what I've been thinking about and I'd appreciate it those of you who have tried these things just gave me a quick opinion:

Ignition: I've heard that this can add 6-10 hp, is it worth the $150 or so that it costs?

Flywheel: My baby is an automatic, but people tell me that it'll still help with torque (and I could really use some low end power). What do you guys think?

Headers: This one is pretty obvious, I'm all over it! What kinda gains do you expect?

Exhaust: Is the GReddy worth it?

Nitrous: Those of you who run nos, do you have a setup where it shoots at full throttle or you shoot it whenever you want with a button? I've heard conflicting reports. :confused:

I'm like a homeless guy on this one, ANYTHING WILL HELP!!!
Thanks guys,

-GR

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm glad you asked about the ignition. That's something I've always wanted to know about. Hopefully someone with an ignition give up some input.:cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a Crane HI-6 Cap. Dis. ignition on my G1 and love it. Cost $197 shipped w/LX 92 coil. Relative easy install. Helps with gas mi. about +2 mpg so far. Helps (seat of pants feel) with lower end acceleration. Engine runs smoother. I'm still gapping my plugs out to get max performance (.48 so far) will prob end up around .50.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ignition mods are to me are not worth the money unless you are planning on NOS or somthing of that nature. It will, however, give you better gas miliage because it is like giving your car a tune up. You won't get any hp increases but your car will run better. I just thought I will give you my opinion.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I thought DV8 had ignition and he took it off because it did no good.

Anyway, I would recommend a torque converter for your automatic. NickD can help you with that.

Greddy is the best for gains, good high end gain with a slight loss in low end torque.

Headers are not yet available for the legend, but DV8 and LegendaryGS are working on that.

I personally would never run nitrous on my legend, but that is a matter of preference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I agree with not running NOS on a legend. I just thought I will post that because it is related to ignition upgrades. I am new to legends here myself. I was a previous civic owner. I am just getting started. Right now I am in the process of tuning my car before I do any mods. I really need a fuel filter change.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies on the ignition system. Actually, I'm getting nitrous instaled this week :D , like you said infinite, matter of preference. What about the other stuff though? Anyone have anything to say about that?

-GR

·
Registered
332 Posts
lighter flywheel

I wouldn't recommend getting a lighter flywheel if your car is a daily driver. The lighter flywheel will free up more of the high end horsepower and it usually narrows the power band. Furthermore, your car will probably idle at a higher rpm. The lighter flywheel can't store as much energy as a heavier flywheel, so the loss will have to be compensated for by increased fuel consumption at idle.

It definitely won't increase torque or your low end performance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, interesting. Well, there goes that idea. Thanks katonk, very helpful info.

-GR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts