Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a G2, upgraded from a G1, and now it's time to start the modification process. My first question will be this. I'm going to replace my stock radio with an Alpine, there's no question about that. My G2 comes with the Bose Premium 200W system and I would like to keep the OEM amp and speakers that are currently install, for now. My dilemma is this,

1. How do I hook the radio up to the Bose amp? and

2. Will there be a problem hooking up a 4ohm radio to the amp which supplies 2ohm speakers?

This is what I figured so far, I went to this place and they started my brain on a track, donno if it the right one

http://www.linkmeup.com/pd4.htm

I figured it's just a high/low impedance adapter so instead of paying $150 I could just get this

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/caudio/lxr1.htm

for a whole lot cheaper and convert the highs coming out of my head to lows and then feed them into the amp with the same adapter found on the PowerDriver PD4, which could be bought separately. Everything from the amp to the speakers will remain stock and everything from the head to the amp will be replaced with the hi/low interfacing the head and amp.

Do you think a high/low will work?, and
Will my sound quality suffer ?
Anyone know anything about the PowerDriver PD4? Is it more than just a overrated high/low, even though it's really a low/low? or am I mistaken and it will be necessary, for some reason, in this setup?

any help will be good help

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
How about simply using the line level preamp outputs on the new headunit, converting it from an RCA type connector to bare speaker wire, and splicing that into the input of the BOSE amp. If your new deck does not have preamp outputs, then use the LOC to convert the high level segnal to line level, and then splice that into the amp inout.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Concerning the pre-amp outs from the head. The head unit only has 2 line outs, F and R, no Sub, and it's my thing put subwoofers in the trunk, sooo here's what I'm thinking of doing. I will use the R low output to feed the the Subs and the R high output to feed the Bose amp R speakers via H/L converter and maybe it would be best to use the F low outputs to feed the Bose amp F speaker.

In the end, only the front high outputs will not be used.

Splicing was mentioned a few times. I wouldn't have to do any splicing cause I'm going to buy the harness from audiolink.com, shouldn't cost that much and takes all the guess work and labor out of the picture.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i wouldn't buy the harness from them...if i remember correctly, it is ~$65 or something like that: a rip off. what iwould recommend you do is to go to a local stereo shop and you should be able to buy an adaptor that plugs into the factory harness behind the stereo. get 2 loc's (one for the front, one for the rear)and 1 rca cable (to cut in half). hook them up like this: stereo harness --> loc --> rca cable (this should be cut so that the end with the rca plugs will go into the loc, the other end of that cable you will have a left and right, each with + and - ; strip the ends) --> wiring harness adaptor (match and splice the correct rca wire with the matching one from the wire harnes adaptor). in the end, this will be substantially cheaper, and accomplish the same thing as that audiolink adaptor. it will also free up the single set of rca outputs on the stereo to hook up an amp for a subwoofer. i am not to sure how it will sound tho...right now, i have the stock headunit with aftermarket amps and speakers, and i have noticable alternator whine that i can't get rid of... good luck, and if you have any more questions, just ask.

wally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts