Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I am the guy answering these kinds of questions, but now I am confused myself :confused:

I am getting a serious amount of air in my coolant. I replaced my radiator ~5k miles ago and I replaced both of my headgaskets ~50k miles ago. The thermostat was also replaced 50k miles ago when I did the headgaskets.

I am getting so much air in my system that on my way into work this morning, stuck in 2 hours worth of traffic, I had to pull over on the shoulder and bleed the system twice!

So I am considering a bad radiator cap, I doubt it but maybe so I bought one when I went out for lunch. I will put it on before I leave from work this evening. The cap that is on there is the original radiator cap that came with the car, so it's 12years old and has been on 4 radiators now.

I am not leaking anti-freeze. My overflow bottle is actually getting quite full so air is getting in, anti-freeze is not leaking out. Makes me think headgasket (but @ 50k miles?!). Though the symptoms are slightly different from a headgasket problem. When my headgasket started to go the air in the system was an issue during warm-up. Once the engine was hot the air wouldn't expand anymore and everything worked. This problem seems more like a constant intake of air from within the engine bay, as opposed to from within in the engine.

Does anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, I agree with you on the radiator cap, the new one is sitting in my passenger seat waiting to be put on.

I had the heads milled and checked for cracks. The block I couldn't do because it was still in the car and I wasn't going to have it towed to the machine shop. We did a in-house "test" best we could and everything looked good.

I however did not re-torque the head bolts after a few heat cycles. If this were an issue wouldn't it have appeared earlier on and not after 50k? If the rad cap doesn't solve it then I will defiently look into re-torquing the head bolts.

Thanks for the info :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.