Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my Weapon-R Dragon air intake yesterday and installed it on my 92 LS Sedan. I also got the RAM Air Kit. One thing is that I noticed that the stock air intake connects to a tube that goes under the car body. My question is, where does that go? Does it go under the car somewhere? I am just asking because instead of connecting the whole RAM Air kit, I could just tie it into that tube. By the way, the air intake sounds great! I feel just a little bit of a low end power loss but I hope that once I connect the hose kit to the intake I will gain a little bit of more power since I will be getting colder air. Please help.

·
Registered
744 Posts
carlos_cet, the hole that you see under the stock air box leads to your air intake pipe.

Now your air intake pipe leads downward to a resonating chamber and upward to an air intake joint that has an air inlet for which hot air is brought in from the engine bay into the air box.

In other words...

If you look to the left of your stock box you will see a a vertical intake hole. The rubber at that hole is called an "air intake joint." That intake joint connects to your "air intake pipe" which is.... "the tube that goes under the car body."

KNLNGUS.

BTW - you may feel a difference actually drawing in cold air - but - that low end power loss can really only be made up by getting chip'd (plus exhaust).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the tube that goes under the car body, is that hot air or cold air. I am just trying to figure out, would it be better to connect the air intake to the existing air intake joint or should I just connect the whole Ram Air Kit.

·
Registered
744 Posts
"The tube that goes under the car body" is HOT AIR not cold. If you want cold air then yes, connect your kit.

FYI, you will need to remove the OE "air intake pipe" and I'm thinking the "resonating chamber box" chamber as well. DV8, does the resonating chamber box get in the way with a cold air setup?

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for your help. Your the man. Just out of cusriousity, why is the original air intake designed to take in hot air as you mentioned? I thought that colder air is better.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I believe that Acura was more concerned with eliminating the possibility of water, or severe sand/ road debris entering into air intake system ALONG with making the setup quiet VS the downfalls of bringing in hot air.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Thanks for the help again. I will hopefully have some pictures on here soon. Thanks again.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
"The tube that goes under the car body" is HOT AIR not cold. If you want cold air then yes, connect your kit.

FYI, you will need to remove the OE "air intake pipe" and I'm thinking the "resonating chamber box" chamber as well. DV8, does the resonating chamber box get in the way with a cold air setup?

KNLNGUS
Yes it does. The resonator assy is actually quite a good size. To make that work, it would have to be removed due to space constraints.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will this affect my car in any way if I remove the box? Is it a big job?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help. I will try it today. Thanks again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, Friday I ended up removing the resonator box and than I installed the hose and the scoop under the car. I will attach some pics. It WORKED great until Sunday morning when I went outside and found that someone had broken into my car and stole it. What the F***! I didn't even have it for a week. Can I claim this under my insurance. They also cut up that leather behind the armrest in the back seat, and messed up my trunk lock. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Reply to me or send a pm or im.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More Pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More...

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did someone see you doing the install cause that is exactly what happend to my remus.

I did file a claim with my homeowners (complete w/ police report and pictures). Good luck - just goes to show everyone how - you can't have anything nice cause someone's always watching.

KNLNGUS.

Good luck with getting a new one (now that your addicted) and congrats on successful DIY.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did the install in front of my house, so I know that people saw me doing the install. I don't have any homeowners insurance, does that mean that my car insurance won't cover it? I am going to call them and do a police report but I want to know what my options are before I do so that I know what to say. It is true, you can't have anything nice. I had a clarion cd and tape radio, it was stollen last year. They ripped it out and broke my passenger and front window.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I called my insurance carrier and they wouldn't cover it on the auto side because I had removed the remus and set it to the side, so they transfered me to the homeowners side and they handled everything and best of all - my auto policy didn't take a ding.

Well, I would call your auto insurance company... but you must indicate that the item that was stolen was the air intake

follow this link for pricing... http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net...y3=2DR+LS&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=AIR+CLEANER

cause if you start talking smack about "hoping up" your vehicle with Aftermarket Parts (intake, exhaust, chip) your insurance might just decide to take it up a few dollars or cancel you or ask for an inspection. I have seen it done before ladies and gentlemen.

KNLNGUS

G

·
Hmmm, I tried doing this in my coupe and I had to pinch the hose so tight to fit it down through the whole that I realized that it would be pointless. You have to close off the passage that the air goes through so much that it just counters what you are trying to do. If you get a chance to buy a new one now shoot DV8 an email and you can get his Mandrel Bent CAI.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Hmmm, I tried doing this in my coupe and I had to pinch the hose so tight to fit it down through the whole that I realized that it would be pointless. You have to close off the passage that the air goes through so much that it just counters what you are trying to do. If you get a chance to buy a new one now shoot DV8 an email and you can get his Mandrel Bent CAI.
are you ordering one, Aaron?
I think we should get together and buy them all from DV8....that would be a start of a good Legend relationship...support the cause, esp if you haven't made/bought one before.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.