Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

1. What does air intake do? Increase HP? How much?
2. Which is the best intake for our Legends? Price and make??
3. I believe there is Short and long (the one that goes all the way to front) intake? Which is better and why?
4. Should I also add an exhaust?

I'm just thinking of adding an intake to my 91L.

Your valubale opinions are very much appreciated!

thanks!~
:p

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
An air intake will not add that much more power, like maybe 4 HP, and some people say that it drops the torque on the low end, i havent noticed it. But it will allow you to add a cold air setup, which will really help the hp, like 15, maybe 20? i dont know, i dont have cold air yet. YET! It will definatly make it sound better and look better. You need a non TCS one, so you can pm a guy named marcus and he will hook u up. He has or works for? an import shop in washington that makes a custom intake, the shops called importtoys, the site is importtoys.com
Their intake is like $75, maybe the one from weapon-r is like $170 and the RM racing one is like $200.
Hope i helped
peace
Tnelson
ps you should get an intake, exaust, a powerchip, a nos kit, and a supercharger!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
HAHAHAHA
the more mods the better!

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey, i have an auto transmission and i was wondering if its really worth putting a lot of money into the performance of my car. the only way i can get it really fast is by changing the gears manually and people are telling me i'll ruin my transmission if i do that. so if you were in my situation, would u mess with adding intake and exhaust or would u just work on the aesthetics? thanks

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
i personally like it fast, but not ricey. i dont want stickers and i dont want it to sound like a civic w/ a coffee can exaust. But i want speed, BTW, quite a few drag racers use autos, i think you can get the tranny rebuilt or upgraded, and it shifts a lot faster(correct me if im wrong, Chris, Dave C or Leon). I plan on gettin mine into at least the low 13s. that may take a year though.
I need to get some money for a twin turbo setup, or maybe a supercharger, not sure which, and at least a 70 shot of NOS.:D

DV8 has his in the low 13s.
peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
847 Posts
danger69 said:
hey, i have an auto transmission and i was wondering if its really worth putting a lot of money into the performance of my car. the only way i can get it really fast is by changing the gears manually and people are telling me i'll ruin my transmission if i do that. so if you were in my situation, would u mess with adding intake and exhaust or would u just work on the aesthetics? thanks
You should be fine as long as you only manually shift between D3 and D4 and let everything else controlled by the ECU. I've *cough* abused my now 179K tranny for over a year now and have not had any problems yet.:D

·
Registered
760 Posts
does anyone know how much air CFM the engine needs in order to have optimal performance?

the reason im asking is because i have an idea, if you could install a fan in the intake that would force air into the intake regardless of if the cars moving or not, then when you get to peaking out the fan would shut off and youd have pure force driving air into the intake, would this solve the low-end issuse with installing CAI's? the engine is getting a set amount of air (the amount is dependent on the fan used) forced into it.

now im assuming that youd be ALOT of air to get into that intake, thus youd need a pretty powerful fan. but do you guys think that could be done?

maybe??? lol.

-brandon

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Darkstar said:
if you could install a fan in the intake that would force air into the intake regardless of if the cars moving or not, then when you get to peaking out the fan would shut off and youd have pure force driving air into the intake, would this solve the low-end issuse with installing CAI's? the engine is getting a set amount of air (the amount is dependent on the fan used) forced into it.

now im assuming that youd be ALOT of air to get into that intake, thus youd need a pretty powerful fan. but do you guys think that could be done?

maybe??? lol.
if you force air in at idle, the o2 is gonna be sensing a lean condition, which would raise your idle rate.

if you were going to install a fan, it'd be better to wire one up to a WOT switch...or something of the sort. then again. you'd have to be wary of parts failing & then getting into the engine...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Darkstar said:
does anyone know how much air CFM the engine needs in order to have optimal performance?

the reason im asking is because i have an idea, if you could install a fan in the intake that would force air into the intake regardless of if the cars moving or not, then when you get to peaking out the fan would shut off and youd have pure force driving air into the intake, would this solve the low-end issuse with installing CAI's? the engine is getting a set amount of air (the amount is dependent on the fan used) forced into it.

maybe??? lol.

-brandon
In a simple answer? no

for one the fan in the intake would just be restricting air flow (especially if it stopped) and they already have an efficient fan that blows air into the intake....thats right, the turbo and the supercharger......give ya props for the idea though

·
Registered
847 Posts
eh........ in case you guys don't know this, but there's actually a company selling that so called "electric super charger":D Well, as discussed with other board members before, that thing doesn't work.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts