Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen other people complaining about their alarm systems also... First of all, here is what happened.. Sometimes after I unlock the doors with the remote and go to open it, the alarm will go off (why?).. Next, this has happened to me twice, once when I had the alarm system turned on and another time when I had it turned off...I would get in my car and it would not turn over... it will let me get as far as to listen to the radio, put on the heater/AC, windows, etc. I have to actually get out of the car, lock it and wait 10 minutes for it to reset. Then it will let me be on my way. Any ideas how to fix it? It's quite frustrating!

· Registered
658 Posts
I hate the Acura people who decided how the alarm would work.

I didn't get a fob when I bought mine used. If I lock the car using the passenger lock switch, I'm punished when I unlock the driver's door with the key by the alarm going off.

If I forget which way the lock operates and accidently lock the locked driver's door, I'm punished when I unlock the driver's door by the alarm going off. That dad-burned Acura lock works backwards from every other car I've owned, so this happens all too frequently.

I can unlock the driver's door correctly for two weeks, yet the alarm goes off for no known reason on the fifteenth day, even though I worked the lock correctly.

It's the most stupid thing I've ever seen :mad: that the proper key will set off the car alarm. It's not the manufacturer's decision as to who the proper keyholder is. If a person has the key in hand, that person should have no fear of the car alarm. Acura REALLY screwed this up. Unusual for a Japanese company.

I'm about to damage my car in anger. Take my alarm. PLEASE!!!

· Registered
2,973 Posts
KAHruzer said:
I'm not sure, but don't believe an '88 had remote alarm capabilities. Is yours a third-party deal?
That's what I as going to point out also. Acura didn't have a remote starting system in the US....so it has something to do with how your aftermarket remote system was wired !

· Registered
2,973 Posts
slartibartfast said:
I hate the Acura people who decided how the alarm would work.

I didn't get a fob when I bought mine used. If I lock the car using the passenger lock switch, I'm punished when I unlock the driver's door with the key by the alarm going off.

If I forget which way the lock operates and accidently lock the locked driver's door, I'm punished when I unlock the driver's door by the alarm going off. That dad-burned Acura lock works backwards from every other car I've owned, so this happens all too frequently.

I can unlock the driver's door correctly for two weeks, yet the alarm goes off for no known reason on the fifteenth day, even though I worked the lock correctly.

It's the most stupid thing I've ever seen :mad: that the proper key will set off the car alarm. It's not the manufacturer's decision as to who the proper keyholder is. If a person has the key in hand, that person should have no fear of the car alarm. Acura REALLY screwed this up. Unusual for a Japanese company.

I'm about to damage my car in anger. Take my alarm. PLEASE!!!
I had problems with mine when I first bought my car 16 years ago. I'd try talking to your local dealer and see what they think. My problem ended up being a faulty switch in the driver's door. I haven't had a problem since !

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Sounds like an after-market alarm as KAHruzer and ND1980LS have mentioned. I think the remote DOOR lock/unlock was available on non_US cars. Sounds like the starter disable is causing you problems. Is your car battery old? I've had pronblems when my battery is not providing sufficient voltage for the alarm "brain". Have you ever replaced the battery in your remote?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My battery is not old, I had just replaced it last year. I'm almost positive the old lady that had it before me did not have an alarm system installed (she only drove it to church on sundays and had the car garaged it's whole life) And yes, I replaced the battery in my remote about 1-2 months ago. I believe it is possible that some of the sensors have gone bad (not that I know where to find them), because a lot of other sensors in the car aren't working properly (ie.. check engine light, check oil, antennae won't go down, mister doesn't work, ac don't work) For such a great running car, all the luxuries seem to go fast.. my car only has 42,000miles on it... I got it 2 years ago with it having 41,000 in practically mint condition.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
door switch sensor i belive runs off the same one as the one when you push the lock in the other door(s) lock.

whe you go to unlock it thinks you are intruding because it seen the lock move not the key hole.

(there's also a switch at the key hole)

i like the feature...that just makes it more impossible to break in.

i noticed that when the alarm is still going off and you use a different key (my accord key) you could probably try to start but it won't let you.

but when you use the acura key it'll start.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Blinkmeok said:
My battery is not old, I had just replaced it last year. I'm almost positive the old lady that had it before me did not have an alarm system installed (she only drove it to church on sundays and had the car garaged it's whole life) And yes, I replaced the battery in my remote about 1-2 months ago. I believe it is possible that some of the sensors have gone bad (not that I know where to find them), because a lot of other sensors in the car aren't working properly (ie.. check engine light, check oil, antennae won't go down, mister doesn't work, ac don't work) For such a great running car, all the luxuries seem to go fast.. my car only has 42,000miles on it... I got it 2 years ago with it having 41,000 in practically mint condition.
If you have a remote for the alarm, it's an aftermarket system as far as I know...

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Blinkmeok said:
With only 42K miles on it....having those problems is unusual. The first 4 items you mentioned you could probably get fixed prettty easily. You probably need a new oil level sending unit. Does the antenna power at all ?? I just had my mast replaced for cheap $$'s. Does the AC compressot turn over at all.....or does it just blow hot air. If it blows hot air there's a refill kit at WalMart that I've used to recharge the system with R-134A. Best of luck !

· Registered
4,259 Posts
... in addition ^^^

Check engine: retrieve code(s) from the ECU, under passenger seat.

Not working mister: faulty/bad stalk switch (windshield wiper/washer controller), pick one up at your local junkyard ;)

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
A car with only 42K shouldn't be having any of those problems.
Except, perhaps, the mister from lack of use. IF it trys to pump and nothing comes, it's likely a clog. Try a pin in the spray nozzels.

As pnoye2 says, the Check Engine light indicates a Code on the ECU.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whenever the car turns off (the antennae is supposed to automatically go down) I hear it trying, but it doesn't go anywhere. I agree also about the mister, lack of use.. the car sat for 1 year and it even says it can get damaged from lack of use. I believe (not sure) theres a hole in one of the tubes for the AC, I put stuff in and it leaks out somewhere. Just have to find out where. The car looks and feels in great shape other than those few problems, I'm surprised also all that went already. Again my main concern is that alarm, it is so frustrating and embarassing. I want to rip the whole thing out. I supposedly turned the alarm "off" from inside the car yet it still goes off occasionally. I think my car has personality, playing games on me :p

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
If your alarm system is indeed third-party, it wouldn't be surpising at all to discover the installer had less than adequate skills to tackle the integration with the existing alarm system. It would not install via the directions on the box, at least successfully.

Frankly, other than remote starting, I'm not sure why one would even do this. The OEM system is really quite good.

Might be worth a check at a local installer to just verify.

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
The antenna motor running is a good sign. It means your antenna is bent. If you pull it manually while the motor is running, it should come up. Again, it would require manual down feeding, which someone has done already.

You can replace just the staff or the whole unit.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
oem antenna mast is available for $40+ dollars. Your alarm might have an in-line fuse hidden somewhere...kickpanel fusebox, underhood, etc. You might try looking...it would allow you to disable it. If you inspect your A/C lines, look for evidence of an oily film, or a "dirty" area(oil would cause dirt to attach). That might indicate where you might be leaking freon. Good Luck, and welcome to a-l.com!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.