Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help on deciding my purchases. Right now I am in the midst of trying to buy 3 units, all containing the 3 functions listed above. I need one for the Legend, my fiance needs one for her Altima, and I want to buy one for my sister's Cavalier for x-mas. My Legend has nothing, the alarm system was disconnected by the original owner due to ambiguous alerts. My fiance's Altima has an aftermarket remote start and keyless entry, but it stopped working and I was told the unit was burnt out. My sister has an alarm system and keyless entry, but no remote start. Best Buy has a Viper unit with all 3 functions for $200 w/free install, but if I could find a better deal on some units, I know a guy who would probably install them for $50-75 per car. I saw some units on ebay with all three functions for like $55 shipped. They're obviosly cheapies, but does it matter? They say they have a 2000ft range!?! check 'em out on ebay What are the pros and cons of cheap and expensive units? What should I do for the 3 cars?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the Clifford Matrix RS3.5 and it is great. It has everything and it is the best (along with Viper counterpart - both from DEI). I installed it by myself and it took me about 4 hours - also, I don't recommend installing a remote start on manual transmission - there's not a single one shop in here that will install mine so I did it by myself. If you need help on installing your remote start, I can make a DIY.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
blitz said:
I have the Clifford Matrix RS3.5 and it is great. It has everything and it is the best (along with Viper counterpart - both from DEI). I installed it by myself and it took me about 4 hours - also, I don't recommend installing a remote start on manual transmission - there's not a single one shop in here that will install mine so I did it by myself. If you need help on installing your remote start, I can make a DIY.
ive heard of vehicles with remote start, starting up randomly and ending up in their neighbors front yard across the street...that can't be true...can it?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Viper 791 and Clifford RS3.5 and the same possibly also valet 554r...

For manual transmission, it is possible to hit some people. If car is left in gear and not in nuetral, the car will run and hit somebody or something. I've seen car busted their garage door and heard someone remote start their car and hit an old lady. I don't recommend this on manual trans. On auto, it is ok.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
go with the viper system. I heard of a lot of systems messing up after a certain amount of time. I've had mines for 4 yrs and no problems. keyless entry. really want to switch it out for the remote start.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of our cars are autos so we're all good in that respect.

Is there any way we could get a remote start to add on to my sister's alarm w/o her having to have a seperate remote?

If not, and we buy her a 3 in 1 system, could I put her old alarm and keyless system in the Legend? (I don't really need remote start)

As far as the old lady's car, I will probably go with the $200 Viper w/free install @ Best Buy (unless anyone knows where I could get a better deal on a unit; I can have a guy install one for around $75) Maybe the reason the one in her car burnt out is b/c it could have been a cheapie. Also, I have a Viper Alarm in my Isuzu Trooper II and it has never malfunctioned over the years! (pretty sensative too)

Do you guys think this system is going to be junk?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
SLICK40 said:
All of our cars are autos so we're all good in that respect.

Is there any way we could get a remote start to add on to my sister's alarm w/o her having to have a seperate remote?

?
Yes, but it depends on what alarm she has. If the alarm has a open/unused AUX channel you can use that channel to initiate remote start. You will still need to buy a dedicated remote start unit though. There are independed remote start units for this very purpose. Otherwise you can just but an all in one unit.

·
Victory is fleeting...
5,414 Posts
Felllllaaaas,

Alarms are and forever will be tricky add-ons for cars. I have yet to own an alarm that didn't require some tweaking or didn't at least once scare the hell out of me by leaving me stranded for a brief amount of time. So to that end, I will NEVER buy an alarm or remote start system from any entity other than an established "Brick and Mortar" shop, and preferably a national chain like Best Buy or Circuit City.

I sold my old del Sol to a former member here; He called me a few weeks later panicked because the alarm was inexplicably going off at his job site, and disabling the starter. So I told him to get it to a Circuit City and let them look at it (I had the alarm installed at a CC in VA). I figured I would have to talk to Circuit City and beg them to fix this for him--Turns out they have a lifetime warranty on alarm installs, and replaced the defective brain module free of charge. You can't beat that, and I doubt eBay would provide a similar service.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
I'd leave that ebay crap alone.. go with the good ole vipe series.. dei.com or type in dei in the search engine. stay with that line

·
Registered
62 Posts
i like DesignTech remote starters.
My dad's 99 Yukon has one, and it works perfectly, and it does get the 1000ft range it advertises.(ive tested, in parkinglots and a field or two.)
I went on ebay one day to look, and found a new one for $30, so i got it and installed it on my legend and it works great! It starts, unlocks, locks, turns lights on and off, pops your trunk, panic, and you can use the same remote for 4 diff vehicles.
the only problem i had was finding the right wires, but the some members helped me with that.

here is the link DesignTech Deluxe Remote Car Starter

just another option for ya.

ac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.