Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about alloy wheels that get scratched and nicked from conflicts with curbs. Sometimes it gets just a light scratch which takes on a whitish appearance - is this from the clearcoat being damaged? I've seen a couple of alloy wheel polishes marketed and almost picked up the one from Mothers- would this get the white out?

The second kind of damage is more severe and is on the edge of the rim where it gets nicked and discolored. What do you guys buff these out with? Should I get down to the metal and then re-clearcoat them? I know there are places that can get them looking like new for $$$ but I'm wondering how much better I can get these looking by myself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No wax or polish will protect or help with "conflicts with the curb". You should make an effort to avoid the curb - the curb will win every time.

To restore the wheel, expect to pay around $100 a wheel, results are often very good. Depending on the condition and age of the wheels, pitting often occurs on resurfacing an aluminum wheel causings bumbs (pimples) on the surface.

When the wheels are new a good coat of wheel wax (ie mothers, eagle-1, meguires) will make them shine and keeps the brake dust from eating up the clear coat. I try to wax my wheels twice a year.

PS - The **** they spray on the wheels at the car wash will also eat away the clear coat over time. Piss those guys off and they will spray that on your paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts