Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has noticed their lights dim due to stepping on the brake?
I've noticed, when I let up on the gas and the car is coasting and then I step on brake, my headlights dim slightly. This annoys me!

Can someone tell me if I can replace my alternator (I'm pretty sure it's my alternator) to something larger? And if so what and how big?
Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
you know...we replaced our alternator and the problem was still there. so that was 500 down the drain. It turns out it was the battery for us. In fact, my car dimmed so much that the batt light came on when i had the heater, defog, and car charger on. Go to a mechanic and have them do a charging system test. They should check the alternator and the battery.

Dont be surprised if after u replaced everything that your interiors still dim with the brake on. guess thats just normal.

·
Registered
541 Posts
heh.. yea learned the hard way that its supposed to be like that. oh well, a new alternator will just be "preventive maintenance" caus its due to break sooner or later.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I suspect it has something to do with those PIAA bulbs you are running. Switch to standard bulbs and your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
583 Posts
idea from one of the modders...

Hows about adding a Farad Capicitor? They do it for big amps/bass, so why not for other momentary electrical power drains (ie brake lights)?
Should work fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's It!

How funny, that's exactly what I was thinking. Putting a giant capacitor inline prior to the lighting system....

I don't think It has to do with the PIAA bulbs. because I've noticed that in the day (without turning any lghts on) when the car is idling, and I depress the brake, there is a very slight drop in the engine. Not enough to see on the tach, but enough to hear.

Anyone know if I can put a cap inline and if so how big and where?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Rick90Legend said:
I suspect it has something to do with those PIAA bulbs you are running. Switch to standard bulbs and your problem will be solved.
This may be true, But I suspect the fog lights. Most people that have fogs and their lights dim have a ground problem. Check the ground for your fog lights, and I'd replace the battery with an Optima battery for added power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts