Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a new alternator...is this an easy job to do on a 87 2.7L manual?? im skeptical on the belts and how to tighten them. other than that it looks pretty simple. do u guys know where i could get a decent rebuilt alternator?? i was thinking discount auto or autozone but whats a good place to go to?? the reason why im tackling this job myself is because a mechanic asked for $320. i thought that was a lil steep so here i am.... thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Alternator replacement is easy. The tricky part is getting the belt adjustment mechanism back together. Not at all hard if you know how to use hand tools.

Consult the shop manual before you begin.

·
Registered
386 Posts
CHANGING THE ALTENATOR!!!!!!!!!

I myself have done it so I most definitely second the motion. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
$320!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats a ripoff you can buy the alternator at pep boys for around $120- $150 my mechanic changed my alternator for like $50
and when you return the old one they give you $$$ back:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the relpies, im gonna go for it, i do everything else like tranny and oil and tune up things, so it shouldnt be a problem. when i need to tighten the alternator belt after i put the new one in, how do i do that? is that tensioner visible from the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its alright, thanks for the offer i took care of it, it wasnt that bad of a job, i would think any of us could do it. thanks LEGEND FORUMS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts