Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 110,000 miles, something was bound to break. I noticed today the the antenna won't go down. What's the fix, and approx. how much does it cost?

Thanks

Sean in Tampa
'94 Legend LS Sedan
'97 Lexus LS 400

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wally. The mast looks fine, it's not bent or anything, it just won't go down. Based on the symptoms could it be that an internal gear broke in the mechanism or is it the actual mast the needs replacing?

Regards,

·
Registered
671 Posts
actually, the way the antenna mast works it that there is a grooved hard plastic piece that runs up insite the antenna and extends or retracts it. *all* antennas on hondas and acuras break at some point, because they are all like this. basically, i am guessing that a length of this plastic has broken, and you need to take it apart according to thise instructions i posted to remove the old broken antenna, and the old piece of it. then you go about the process of installing the new one. good luck, and just ask if you have any further questions...

wally

·
ƒŒƒWƒFƒ“ƒh
1,573 Posts
Do you hear a grinding sound when the mast tries to go down? if so your gear is stripped. either replace it or buy another assembly. I had this problem ... i don't listen to the radio much so i just installed a cheap aftermarket antenna for $20 dollars... so i didn't have to hear that **** grinding anymore.

late

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, there is no grinding sound, not much sound at all. The antenna just doesn't go down when the radio is powered on or off. It's stuck in the up position, with no visible bends etc (it looks fine in other words).

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Antenna Mast changed!

I wanted to thank Wally for his excellent instructions on changing out the antenna mast. The most difficult part was pulling off the hold down nut with needle pliers, I ended up scratching the nut a bit, but that's ok b/c I didn't scratch the paint!

Once I had the motor removed from the car, it only took a few minutes to extract an 8" length of old plastic coil, it had snapped in two. If the replacement mast lasts 110K miles like the original, I won't have to deal with this again for a very long time, if ever!

During the new mast install, I noticed that when I got the plastic coil to engage, it appeared to be too long, and the antenna didn't go all the way, it was about a inch and a half too long.

I specifically asked the parts guy at Acura for a '94 Legend Sedan, and he said no problem, 'they're all the same'. If so, is it common that the mast coil is 'too long'? I was a bit puzzled over this since it's my first time dealing with an antenna mast.

Anyway, after analyzing it for a few minutes, and trying several different attempts to get the plastic coil to engage, I decided to shorten the coil....I measured the amount of distance that the antenna needed to go down in order to be closed fully, and snipped the coil by that exact amount.

At power off, the antenna motor immediately took hold of the coil and retracted the antenna correctly.

Seems to work fine. I will probably replace the slighly scratched mast holddown nut and borrow the correct tool to R&R, but for now, we're back in business.

PS....I am most likely (99%) relocated back to Northern California, look forward to meeting a few of the Legend diehards out there.

Thanks and Best Regards,

G

·
You could have also, just slammed the antenna down back into its hole as hard as you could, and then disconnected it. That is what a lot of us have done because there are two separate antennas on the legend. You still may want to try this becuase this way your antenna never goes up. The seconda antanna is on the back window.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you mean speed demon, I tried to force the antenna in pretty hard, but it wouldn't go in that extra 1.5".

But it does go up and all the way now, just like it used to.

Regards,

G

·
No, I'm talking about before you tried to do anything, when you antenna was broken in half or whatever. You could have just shoved the antenna down and disconnected it so that it wouldn't go up anymore and just used the rear window antenna. There are quite a few of us on the forums that have done this because we don't like the look of the antenna and the rear window gives me good enough reception for the times when I need radio. You can still try this even though you have your antenna working by just turning your car off, letting the antenna go down, and then disconnect it so that it won't go back up. Your car will now be running off the rear window antenna. It's all preference, you have to weigh whether you like the better looks of the antenna down all the time or if you like the better reception with it being up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info, thanks Speed Demon.

I would think that here in FLA where it's flat that the rear window antenna would probably suffice, but I am moving back to the Bay Area next month and it's hilly, so it will be nice to have the mast working again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.