Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the highest compression our C32's can run on 92 octane? A B18B1 can run a 9.3c/r on 87-89 octane. Yet, we are running 9.6c/r on 92 octane. What else comes into play when calculating octane to higher compression? The plan is to bump my C/R up to 11:1 on forged pistons, but I dont wanna drive to Sunaco (110 oct) to fill up. Is there an alternative to increase octane?

Also does higher C/R increase ny likeyhood to fail emmissions?

· Registered
270 Posts
No Rule

There is no set rule about octane and compression... It is generally accepted that any engine under 11:1 can run on 94 octane and lower... Also engine requirements change as it gets older or how much carbon has built up (Carbon will both increase your compression a bit and keep the heat so it will be easier to pre-ignite.). The only for sure way to give your engine what it needs is to fill it up with a tank of the gas you have already been using, keep a log of what mileage you filled up at and how much you put in, and go for a drive... Does it feel like you have the same/less power than before (Better if you have a GTech pro ;) ) and mark the mileage down... Then repeat with different levels of octane until you find the right one. I would also tell you to listen for pinging (a sign of pre-ignition), but I think your car may be equipped with knock sensors and you won't hear any because it retards the timing to prevent pre-ignition.

Sorry it's such a long explanation, but I hope it helps you.... It won't hurt the car for the short period it takes...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.