Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a Chrono this year, Oris has nice one (XXL Chrono or the TT Chrono), IWC has some kick butt ones but out of my range, Omega's are cool but everyone seems to have one.

Anyone have any feedback on SINN (they use to make BELL & Ross here in the US)? It's a German Watch rather than a Swiss one. I like it a lot , it looks bad ass:

http://www.fstech.de/watches/sinn6000/

Also planning on making a trip to Europe this year, are watches cheaper there and where are the best deals at?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
802 Posts
yeah that's a badass watch sherm, buy me one while you're at it consider it a late cny gift dai lo

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,216 Posts
I'm actually really into watches myself. I've probably got about 10 watches in my collection. They're mainly relatively inexpensive ones like Guess, Fossil, DKNY, and Kenneth Cole. But the two that I hold near and dear to my heart are my Acura watch (made by some company that I've never heard of called Oniss...bought it at the dealership) and my Tag Heuer link chrono. The Acura one has taken its fair share of beatings but it's still going strong. I'm actually looking at/thinking about getting a Breitling or Omega (leaning towards the Omega) in the near future so you can see where my bias is. But you're right, it does seem like everyone has an Omega (same thing with Tags).

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the other watches you mentioned. One reservation I would have about buying a watch in Europe is warranty and servicing issues. A lot of US authorized dealers of high end watches will offer complimentary services (i.e. repairs, cleanings, batteries, etc) that you might lose if you buy in Europe. Also, if the watch breaks and needs to be fixed under warranty, it's just another obstacle you have to face if you need to send it to Europe yourself.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, most (reputable) companies have world-wide warranties. Just make sure that the watch you buy has sufficient support here in the states.

A couple of years ago, I had to send my Gucci to New York to be repaired.

Of the Tags, you still don't see too many 6000 series watches around, and when you do, chances are that they are quartz rather than Chronometer. :)

As far as pricing goes, I can't say with certainty, but I believe that they are better in Asia than they are in Europe.

BTW, if you're looking for a Tag Heuer, Tag recently opened a store at the Palm Springs factory outlets. It is owned by Tag Switzerland and there is only one other store like it and it's in New York. The prices are quite good.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I too love watches, have 7 in my collection ranging from Philippe Charriol, Gucci, Movado, Swiss Army...Looking to buy a Patek Philippe in the near Future.
I have never heard of the Sinn, though it looks very nice.

The IWC are the way to go if you can afford it.

Have you looked at the Movado Vizio? It's not as expensive as the IWCs.

If you get any Chrono make sure the Sec hands sweeps as appose to ticking.

http://www.tourneau.com

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
DVS said:
LEGENDGS- Where in NY is the other store?
I almost came back with a "I have no idea" reply, but I tried one more search and got lucky. :)

It's at the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets at

498 Red Apple Court
Central Valley, NY 10917

Their number is: (845) 928-1018

·
2,879 Posts
Yep I been there before, that outlet is actually 45 mins away from the place we're having our Tri-State Legend meet.!

P.S. I love TIMEX's ....! hehe

LegendGS said:

I almost came back with a "I have no idea" reply, but I tried one more search and got lucky. :)

It's at the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets at

498 Red Apple Court
Central Valley, NY 10917

Their number is: (845) 928-1018

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,216 Posts
LegendGS said:
BTW, if you're looking for a Tag Heuer, Tag recently opened a store at the Palm Springs factory outlets. It is owned by Tag Switzerland and there is only one other store like it and it's in New York. The prices are quite good.
Nice!!!:D Palm Springs is 45 minutes away from me. I've been eyeing this particular Tag that I've been meaning to buy for my girlfriend. She's been dropping not-so-subtle hints about wanting one ever since I got mine. I'm sure I'll be able to save a few pennies if I can find it there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree IWC makes some real nice chronos. Isn't that 7750 movement the same as some of the IWC's? In my opinion that watch looks really sweet. The finish on the dial, the case and bracelet look awesome. It also looks like it would go well with formal and casual dress. I haven't bought a watch in a couple of years, but may make a similar purchase of a chrono as my next watch. So far I have a 1950 TT Datejust and 1979 TT GMT, both are completely refurbished. I also have a piece of crap Invicta sub that I used as a daily wearer until it fell apart. You may want to check out some gray market dealers, but make sure you do your research before you buy of course. Good luck on your purchase.

Ken

·
Registered
847 Posts
LegendGS said:
As far as pricing goes, I can't say with certainty, but I believe that they are better in Asia than they are in Europe.
Actually they are more expensive back in Asia, cuz Asians pay a lot and want to pay a lot for things like that to make themselves look good:confused: And like the Japanese, those fashion companies usually sell their best stuff to themselves and to asian markets.:rolleyes:

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Train said:

Nice!!!:D Palm Springs is 45 minutes away from me. I've been eyeing this particular Tag that I've been meaning to buy for my girlfriend. She's been dropping not-so-subtle hints about wanting one ever since I got mine. I'm sure I'll be able to save a few pennies if I can find it there.
Yeah, I'd say you'd be able to save a buck or so. :D I bought a 6000 series chrnometer there for quite a bit less than what the quartz versions sell for at retail.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
claus44 said:

Actually they are more expensive back in Asia, cuz Asians pay a lot and want to pay a lot for things like that to make themselves look good:confused: And like the Japanese, those fashion companies usually sell their best stuff to themselves and to asian markets.:rolleyes:
Hmm... I guess that would be true, but I've always viewed at Europe being just generally expensive. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeff- Buy you one? Yeah right! How about you buy me one? Of course you would have to hold back on buying another sport or luxury vehicle...... 8 )

TypeII and KenS- Yup IWC is the way.....if funds were unlimited. It's funny, my GF is kinda like "WHAT! you have a watch" (I own a old Classic museum Movado and an Airking). So I'm like yeah but I do not have a CHRONO!

Yes Ken, the SINN 6000 does have the 7750 movment which as you know is swiss (cool) and I guess the rest of the watch was handcrafted in Germany.

The Tag store in Palm Springs is cool and deals can be had, I don't believe they carry the heuer classic line for those who may be looking for that.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I actually have several watches and I prefer the look of the chrono. If your looking for a very nice chrono, take a look at Brietlings.

Obviously if $$$ is not an issue, I would suggest a Rolex Daytona. Rolex's never appealled to me at first but trust me it grows on you real quick. Its a show stopper and "watch-people" (and chicks) can spot the rolexs from a mile away. Rolex is timeless and thus maintain an incredible resale value. Consider it as an investment.

Tag & Movado were nice in the early 90's but now a dime a dozen.

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,216 Posts
MC_ said:
If your looking for a very nice chrono, take a look at Brietlings...

...Tag & Movado were nice in the early 90's but now a dime a dozen.
Damn, that hurts!;) Well, I found a dime in my pocket...now tell me where I can find a dozen Tags and I'lll be all over that.

My only problem with the Breitlings (at least the ones I've looked at) is that they feel a little flimsy. Just makes me feel insecure about the watch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sherm said:
Jeff- Buy you one? Yeah right! How about you buy me one? Of course you would have to hold back on buying another sport or luxury vehicle...... 8 )

TypeII and KenS- Yup IWC is the way.....if funds were unlimited. It's funny, my GF is kinda like "WHAT! you have a watch" (I own a old Classic museum Movado and an Airking). So I'm like yeah but I do not have a CHRONO!

Yes Ken, the SINN 6000 does have the 7750 movment which as you know is swiss (cool) and I guess the rest of the watch was handcrafted in Germany.

The Tag store in Palm Springs is cool and deals can be had, I don't believe they carry the heuer classic line for those who may be looking for that.
Lol, I know what you mean about the girlfriend thing. My wife's the reason why I haven't bought another watch in 2 years. But she has no idea about cars hehe. She thinks my aftermarket muffler sound is a hole in my exhaust and keeps asking me when I'm gonna get it fixed.:D

1 - 20 of 115 Posts