Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with rusty quarter panels, and what you have done to fix them? I was at the body shop the other day and the guy told me that honda makes their quarter panels in two pieces, an inner and outer. all other car makers only use one piece. he said that eventually every honda rusts in the quarter panels because water gets trapped between the two pieces. i have rust there on both sides and it will only get worse...now the big question is, why wouldnt honda realize that their design is ****ty? it seems like all hondas rust out before the mechanical stuff dies. i dont know why they could be so careless with their body designs, when their mechanicals are so good? kinda pisses me off...sorry to rant and rave, but I HATE Rust!!!

91coupeLS

·
Registered
275 Posts
91coupeLS said:
Hey Y'all

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with rusty quarter panels, and what you have done to fix them? I was at the body shop the other day and the guy told me that honda makes their quarter panels in two pieces, an inner and outer. all other car makers only use one piece. he said that eventually every honda rusts in the quarter panels because water gets trapped between the two pieces. i have rust there on both sides and it will only get worse...now the big question is, why wouldnt honda realize that their design is ****ty? it seems like all hondas rust out before the mechanical stuff dies. i dont know why they could be so careless with their body designs, when their mechanicals are so good? kinda pisses me off...sorry to rant and rave, but I HATE Rust!!!

91coupeLS
I've owned two hondas and neither of them rusted in the quarter panels. My 87 Accord had some rust, like all Accords of that generation, right above the rear bumper on the right side just below the trim badge. It also started to rust in the left rear wheel well but that was my fault.

My Legend is in good shape except the metal trim is starting to rust on the lower part of the doors. I have an L and I'm guessing those with an LS or GS won't have to worry about this problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got rust spots from minor accident on rear wheel well and a random rust spot on the trunk. How do you fix rust and how do you prevent?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 91 sedan and recently noticed the paint on my quarter panel has started to bubble up with small dots of RUST. I will now have to do something to stop it from getting any worse. I also hate RUST.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think it pretty much boils down to where you live. I lived in Ohio and my parents cars rusted there (Toledo). I lived in NC and only some cars rusted there usually coastal cars. And then in Arizona and New Mexico where I never saw rust. The north is bad because winters...the crap that the DOT puts on roads to melt the snow and ice. And if you live near the coast also from the salt in the air. Furthermore it could be attributed to how well you take care of the vehicle itself. All possibles..sorry so long.

·
Registered
332 Posts
91coupeLS said:
now the big question is, why wouldnt honda realize that their design is ****ty? it seems like all hondas rust out before the mechanical stuff dies. i dont know why they could be so careless with their body designs, when their mechanicals are so good?
Rust is just another word for corrosion. Unfortunately, chemistry shows that everything corrodes.

But, there are lots of products available to prolong the reaction. I've heard a lot of talk about Rust-oleum in the marine industry. They may have something to help you if rust is getting to be a problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
where is it rusting? someone posted a little while back about finding a lot of mud caked up in the left side rear wheel well

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yup, mine is rusting in the corner back quarter panels as well.

You have to realized though, that it is only the tip of the iceberg. The underneath is going to be totally rusted away (the part where the bumper screws into the panel).

Even if you fix it, it will come back. Its like cancer.

The only way to truly get rid of it, is to buy new quarter panels.

The cost for both quarter panels is around 1200 dollars. I should have mine painted and installed by this coming fall.

Stupid Rust :(

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
What the mechanic told you was true, all pre-96 Hondas had that problem. I owned a 90 Accord, it rusted right thru, also a 94 accord, it also rusted right thru. Now my 94 Legend is rusting too. Every Honda I had rusted at the same place. The rear passenger side quarter panel. It sucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts