Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine killed his sunfire, now looking for a replacement. He's not a car guy, he bought the sunfire from his dads buddy cheap. So now that it's toast I am helping him hunt down something else. I'm partial to Acura of course, so I directed him to the ELs. From what I've read they are pretty decent, and fun to drive. Now I know they were sold in canada, but if anybody has some info on what to look for (problem wise) when shopping around I would appreciate it. I tried signing up to an EL forum and asking. lots of views, but no comments. Some forums just suck I guess, luckily not this one.

thanks for any input.

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never even heard of such things
:p
sorry forgot to mention it's a canada only model, now it's the csx I think.
Anyways it's the smallest of the Acura family.

·
Yes it was a Maxima.
573 Posts
Buddy of mine killed his sunfire, now looking for a replacement. He's not a car guy
Pretty sure we could divulge that information ourselves :lol:

As for the car, the only place I've seen reviews of 'em are on Canadiandriver.

never even heard of such things
They aren't sold in the US, they're sort of like the model below the CL--an Acura civic. They come with a 1.6 up to 2000 or so, then a 1.7.

edit: beat to it

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheelhop
"Pretty sure we could divulge that information ourselves "

I know, I put that out there to save him from the obvious flames that come with being a owner of a sunfire. I always thought of the sunfire as a chick car. Funny thing is, before I "knew" about the Legend his family had a 94 coupe, chipped, beutiful. then when I wasn't paying attention his dad sold it.

CanadianDriver; That's the only professional review I could find as well, diss's the ride, but it's obviously not a Legend.

93LegendSedan
ya it gets good reviews on the carsurvey owner review site.

Pretty sure he'll end up in the EL in the end, some decent ones on craigslist. tonite I'll give him ride to check some out.

thanks guys

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An Acura EL is a, no lie, Honda Civic with Leather and Different bumper and Head Light Assemblies.
hmmm, that got me thinking. so I searched around and found a someone asked the dif between the 1.6 EL and the civic. this was a response

"I assume you are comparing the 1.6 EL to the 6th gen Civic (1996-2000). The
major difference between the 1.6 EL and the Civic sedan is the engine. Both
have 1.6L 4 cyl engines, but the 1.6 EL engine has VTEC which boosts the HP
to 127 compared to 106 for the non-VTEC engine...the torque is also higher,
but I don't know off hand what the numbers are. This is for Canada, where
none of the Civic sedans sold in Canada have the VTEC engine. It is the
same engine as in the Civic Si coupe (Canada only) and Civic EX coupe and
sedan (U.S. only).

Other differences are the wheel and tire size: 195/55R15 on the 1.6 EL, and
up to 185/65R14 on the Civic, depending on trim level and year. There may
also be minor differences in the suspension setup, and some other features
that you may or may not be able to get on a Civic sedan, depending on trim
level, like sunroof, leather seats, leather steering wheel, heated seats,
heated mirrors, remote trunk release, etc.

Reliability for both should be identical as they are based so heavily on
the same chassis with many shared components. And the relibility of the 1st
gen EL/6th gen Civics have been excellent, probably even better then the
current models. This is from someone who has owned a 1996 Civic and now
owns a 2001 EL. I would still be driving the Civic if other people would
have just stopped driving into it."

same question for the 1.7, response

"I purchased an acura 1.7el about one year ago , and I satisfied with the results. The ignorant believe the appearance of exterior will amount to the same car. A 1.7el provides 127 hp not the stock hp of the 2002 Honda civic sedan, which is 115hp. This is the equivalent to the 2002 Honda civic coupe. For that extra amount paid for an Acura 1.7el you will recieve a more luxuriously-finished interior than the top-of-the-line Honda Civic LX sedan - luxury touches include wood trim on the dash, console and doors; chromed door handles, lock buttons, handbrake button and shiftgate; and leather-covered steering wheel and shifter handle. This will also include different taillights and front bumber. The 1.7 will also include power windows, doors, alloy wheels etc. The 1.7 may seem just like a regular Honda to some, but to the more in deepth consumer..... There is a great and much better difference."

hmmm, and it's not bad looking for a wee'un
this is a 04

still sounds like decent little car. still haven't tracked down any chronic issues yet.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
An Acura EL is very close to a Honda Civic EX, Which does have VTEC and 127 hp in the US, but it has a more upscale interior and Exterior look. The newest version, i belive has the K20 engine with 160 hp instead of the smaller 140 hp us version.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
if he can afford it, I'd step up to AT LEAST a TSX

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate your input, but that civic isn't in canada. the el is better than the canadian civic sedan.

moneys not an issue, he could buy brand new if he wanted. he carries no debt and makes good money, and the insurance cut him $10K for the sunfire that was paid off.

but he's not a car guy, so why assume debt as the economy tanks?

he can get a decent el under 100,000kms for $10k

and if the currency doesn't disintergrate, in two years he'll have a fat down payment on a house.

thanks again:bigok:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts