Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shopping around for car alarms today by calling a few places. One shop told me about CompuSTAR alarm systems. It incoroporates a 2-way paging system. Your key FOB is about the size of a pager with an LCD screen. within 1.25 miles of your car, anything that happens to it..ie. door opens, break in, shock sensor goign off...whatever, it will be broadcasted onto your LCD screen by visual, audio, and vibration modes.

Isnt that cool?! Eclipse Window Tint and Alarm company offers compustar for $399+

Anyone have experience with this alarm or seen it? im kind of skeptical because its only been out for 2 yrs and it seems as though they place all their attention to the 2 way paging LCD screen than safety.

http://www.compustar.org

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
It looks like a copy of the Crimetopper FM 2006 alarms.

Either way, it is a good alarm. Remember, almost all the alarms today are comparable with each other. The installation is the sole determining factor of the alarms real world performance.

2 way FM LCD paging alarms have been out for a while. It's just another inovation in the alarm industry. The basic security features are almost all the same now days.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i heard the rumor that compustar had some trouble getting FCC clearance on their top line of alarms??

b

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey that system is pretty good! but i dont know if FM reception is good enough. The CompuStar FM model only transmits up to 1/4 mile. my school is longer than that. that Commando model seems pretty good. I called that alarm shop again and he said for the SS model it will be 499 installed and 399 for the FM model. You guys think i should go with that alarm system?

Theres also a tap feature on the windshield. your friends can tap the area to have the car page you to let u know your friends are waiting for you by your car!

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
hey that system is pretty good! but i dont know if FM reception is good enough. The CompuStar FM model only transmits up to 1/4 mile.
That is the thing. I believe the US FCC law only alows up to a 1/4 mile range. Like I said above, that is probably why they had a hard time getting FCC approval at first. I bet the rage was too long.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you think 1/2 mile is enough? i dont want to spend too much on the Spread Spectrum CompuStar series but 1/4 mile for the FM version is not enough.

Shaha, how is your crimestopper? 1/2 mile good enough? what about if there are buildings or obstacles, do you still get good reception?

·
OLD SKOOL P*MP
235 Posts
COMPUSTAR ...

i have a friend that installs them at his shop ... seems to be a very popular system here in western canada ... i'm getting mine done in the next few weeks too ... about C$750 including install ... don't know which one it is though ...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I have the compustar in my coupe. Its a great system with plenty of room for upgrades (turbo timer, keyless entry, auto trunk release, etc). I just have the keyless entry and the remote start feature hooked up right now and they are great. Sometimes the alarm trips out. It just gives off a warning chirp and then pages me...... even when noone is around. Not sure why it does this but I can live with it. Overall..... very happy with the system.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should i get Compustar/Clifford alarm ONLY or keep my stock alarm and add a LoJack? less than 24 hrs before i need to make a decision.
LoJack is 600$
Compustar is 400-500
Clifford is 250-300.
Least amount of money for the most security is my goal..obviously
Oh yea. i cant have remote start and trunk release because its a hatchback.

thanks every1!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.