Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone here has tried them before. I have considered getting them b/c they are larger and thus has more of a filtering sufrace then the regular oil filters. But then i realize if you're changing your oil every 3000/3months then it makes no sense to change to NSX oil filters which i think are a few $ more hten Legend filters.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much are you paying for the filters?

And how much more motor oil do you have to put in? 5.5 qts?

LegendGS said:
I use Purolator filters which come in the larger NSX size I believe, and change my oil every 2000 miles. :)
 

·
GS Hog
Joined
·
7,026 Posts
I think the filters are about $7, and I put in about 4 3/4 qts each time. I don't think that the larger filter would hold a whole quart (being that the manual states 4.5 qts with filter change).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,106 Posts
Anytime you can provide more filtering surface do it regardless of whether you change the oil every 3/3000. The added cost is minimal. Buy the NSX filter which is approx. 1 inch taller than the regular. Call Acura of Augusta and ask for P/N 15400-PL2-004. I cannot tell you exactly how much additional oil must be added. I just add and check the dipstick several times.
 

·
I'm too sexy for my car
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
I've been using an NSX oil filter since October of 2001. Before that, when I got an oil change and they put in some ole generic oil filter and I saw when they were taking it out, it looked really oily and greasy, but when I went back to get the oil changed again with the NSX filter, the filter looked pretty clean compared to the other one. I guess being thats its alittle bigger, it can take more oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Yes, I am using them. I have used them for the last 4 oil changes. The difference between the oil filters is only the size. Though there may be a slightly larger filtering surface area, all in all, the filtering performance is not any better than the regular Legend Oil Filter. If you compare the sizes and look at how many filters they have in there, you'll see that the extra surface area is not as large as one would think and can easily be consumed in a matter of seconds while the oil is being pumped in and filtered out.

Just think about it. Honda makes filters for all its cars, just because it is made for the NSX, doesn't mean the filter is any better than the one made for a Civic, one is just larger than the other.

The price of the NSX Oil Filter over the Legend Oil Filter is negligible overall. I think Acura of Augusta charges around $1.00 more for the NSX Oil Filter over the Legend Oil Filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Triton3K said:
Also, the NSX filters were actually used on Legends before they started putting them on NSX. Does anyone know why they made the change?
Unknown, it's not like the extra amount of oil due to the larger NSX Oil Filter is going to cause massive amounts of money. But I could think of 1 thing, though, it could be a remote possibility:

The 3G Integra shares much of its underpinnings with the 96-00 Civic, thus a lot of parts are interchangeable. So, why buy an Integra? I know that the Integra handles and does a lot of things better than the Civic, but if u didn't know or didn't drive it, u wouldn't know. If you tell someone you own an Integra, they might say, what's the point, it's just a Civic with a different body?

The Toyota Camry and the Lexus ES300 have much of the same underpinnings too. With this said, some people think, if the Camry is virtually the same as the ES300, why buy a Lexus ES300 when u can get a more than accomodating (fully-loaded) Camry for a virtually less than accomodating (standard, no option-filled) ES300, thus making ES300 users seem rather stupid for spending an extra $7k for the same or similar options as a fully-loaded Camry. If you tell someone you own a Lexus ES300, they might say, what's the point, it's just a Toyota Camry with a different body?

So, to make NSX owners feel truly exotic and truly their top-of-the-line model, why not make everything unique to that model and make it NOT share VIRTUALLY any components with other models. With the NSX still in production, it currently stands as a very unique and exotic model that doesn't share anything with any of Honda's CURRENT car models (remember Legends disappeared in 1995 in the US).

Ok, so that might be extreme, but that's what I could think of! ;)
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
asianlegend said:


Unknown, it's not like the extra amount of oil due to the larger NSX Oil Filter is going to cause massive amounts of money. But I could think of 1 thing, though, it could be a remote possibility:

So, to make NSX owners feel truly exotic and truly their top-of-the-line model, why not make everything unique to that model and make it NOT share VIRTUALLY any components with other models. With the NSX still in production, it currently stands as a very unique and exotic model that doesn't share anything with any of Honda's CURRENT car models (remember Legends disappeared in 1995 in the US).

Ok, so that might be extreme, but that's what I could think of! ;)
Well, nice theory, but it probabaly is a lot more simple than that and probably just an economic thing. Keep in mind, according the the Acura Techs the visit the forums, the oil pan for the 3.0 NSX is the exact same part number as the G1 Legend oil pan. So, the NSX does indeed share some parts with even the older Acura Legends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
ChrisK said:
So, the NSX does indeed share some parts with even the older Acura Legends.
CHRISK: Yeah, but since the Legend is no longer in production, the NSX can now be truly known as a pure Honda machine all on its own, non-shareable.... at this point to say the least.

Leon Millette said:
funny, I was looking at the Purolator filter...L24484. That is the same filter used on the NSX...which is what I have used all along...if not getting the 14.00 filter at the dealer
LEON: So, now it's just a matter of whether the Purolator is any better at filtering than the Honda OEM filter. BTW, does anyone know who makes the Honda OEM filter or does Honda manufacturer it themselves?
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
You guys are strange

My God. A bigger filter does not have BETTER filtering capability. They are made out of the same materials as smaller filters. A larger filter has more surface area allowing more oil to flow through the system. This is important for a high-volume oil pump that you might find on a hard-working/high-revving motor. Using a larger filter on our stock oil pumps is a WASTE of money. The pump is not being restricted by the filter in which it was designed for. So using a larger unit will not benefit you in any way. Your car is not better because it has a part from a NSX on it. The very idea is silly. Save your money and get yourself an extra value meal for lunch. Supersize it.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Re: You guys are strange

Bread said:
My God. A bigger filter does not have BETTER filtering capability. They are made out of the same materials as smaller filters. A larger filter has more surface area allowing more oil to flow through the system. This is important for a high-volume oil pump that you might find on a hard-working/high-revving motor. Using a larger filter on our stock oil pumps is a WASTE of money. The pump is not being restricted by the filter in which it was designed for. So using a larger unit will not benefit you in any way. Your car is not better because it has a part from a NSX on it. The very idea is silly. Save your money and get yourself an extra value meal for lunch. Supersize it.
The question would be, why did Acura decide to use a smaller filter on the Legend after 92? Originally, the NSX and Legend used the same filter, than latter I guess Acura decided a smaller filter was enough for the Legend. I'm pretty sure they know what they were doing when they decided to make the smaller filter, but it does seem kind of odd that they would decide to make a new part rather than using the same part. On top of that, we know engineers themselves personally like to over engineer things on a personal level if they could, but economics force them to engineer just enough. That in itself could be a double edge sword. While over engineering sounds good, at times it could just be a waste of money; however, corporate sometimes cut too much cost causing premature failure later.

Since I'm studying to be an engineer (EE) I would like to know what the engineer who designed the Legends oil system was thinking when he decided to use the NSX filter on the Legend originally. Then I woud like to know what Acura was thinking when they decided to stop using it and use a smaller one. Was it just over kill on the filter part, or was it an economic decision?

I agree that a lager filter doesn't filter any better, but as you stated "The pump is not being restricted by the filter in which it was designed for. So using a larger unit will not benefit you in any way. " We need to remember that the Legend oil system was designed to use the larger NSX filter from the begining, then only chaged to a smaller filter later in the next few years.

All that said, I use the normal smaller filter most of the time and sometimes the NSX filter if I buy a NON Honda one. I figure I change oil and filter often enough and nothing as happend so far, so I should be okay :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Re: Re: You guys are strange

Chris

1. How do you know that the Legend oil system was designed to use the larger NSX filter from the begining? I know that sometimes when something new is being manufactured and designed that often manufacturers will tend to re-use whatever parts that they can for whatever reason, be it economic, be it no time left available, be it whatever. So, Acura could've done the same thing, that among the things that they wanted to revise, the oil filter was one of them, but not a high priority item. So, they stuck the NSX filter in because the stock oil pump system could handle the extra large capacity. Just a thought...

2. Also ... Your studying to become an Electrical Engineer? Are you a lot younger than I think you are? Your also are married .... now I am :confused: ... are you just going back to school? What's the deal?

ChrisK said:
1. We need to remember that the Legend oil system was designed to use the larger NSX filter from the begining, then only chaged to a smaller filter later in the next few years.

2. Since I'm studying to be an engineer (EE) I would like to know what the engineer who designed the Legends oil system was thinking when he decided to use the NSX filter on the Legend originally. Then I woud like to know what Acura was thinking when they decided to stop using it and use a smaller one. Was it just over kill on the filter part, or was it an economic decision?
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Re: Re: Re: You guys are strange

asianlegend said:
Chris

1. How do you know that the Legend oil system was designed to use the larger NSX filter from the begining? I know that sometimes when something new is being manufactured and designed that often manufacturers will tend to re-use whatever parts that they can for whatever reason, be it economic, be it no time left available, be it whatever. So, Acura could've done the same thing, that among the things that they wanted to revise, the oil filter was one of them, but not a high priority item. So, they stuck the NSX filter in because the stock oil pump system could handle the extra large capacity. Just a thought...

2. Also ... Your studying to become an Electrical Engineer? Are you a lot younger than I think you are? Your also are married .... now I am :confused: ... are you just going back to school? What's the deal?

Well, I don't know for a fact that how they desinged to oil system. :)

Also, I'm old enough (30). I'm just going back to school. I'm classified as a technician, and I just want to complete my education and become a real engineer :) I got a good job in my early 20s, so I never pursued the EE degree. Now I want to finish it.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top