Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on the wings west oem style spoiler and now my trunk doesn't always stay open, it slams down a lot! Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
When you buy the OEM spoiler kit from Acura, it comes with heavy duty torsion bars (trunk springs) to support the extra weight. You need to call the dealers, or inquire the onliine Acura parts stores to see if they have these trunk springs available.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
TypeIICoupe said:
I put on the wings west oem style spoiler and now my trunk doesn't always stay open, it slams down a lot! Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks
Try these guys. here is the link with the part number and everything.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/acura/jsp/mws/srchrslts.jsp?search=sku&srchwords=08F13-sp1-200r1

Notice the part number is 08F13-sp1-200r1. for the entire kit.

If they dont have the kit just inquire about each individual spring. The kit includes the springs and the clip. I bought a new clip from dealer for .86 cents (YES ONLY .86 CENTS) just yesterday after work and all is good, because my clip was broken. Thats why mine didn't stay up. It doesn't fell good when that trunk hits you in the head while loading groceries.

Now, the clip you can put in, but the actual springs. NAH NAH!!!!the deal has to do it. TRUST ME. Those spring are under the rear speakers (they are two black thin bars about 4 feet each and they are crossed over one another in the form of an X.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
You need the torsion springs for the spoiler application. Call Acura of Augusta 1-800-736-6818. On my 92 Cpe there are two "teeth" on the strut mount bracket. One will provide increased torsion and could be used to provide some additional torsion w/o having to install the spoiler bars. Doing this would be of some benefit, but you would still have times when the trunk lid would not maintain enough lift. I am uncertain as to whether the bracket on the later G2s are similar.

If you have never removed/installed trunk torsion bars, pay someone else. You could be seriously injured.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
LPB said:
You need the torsion springs for the spoiler application. Call Acura of Augusta 1-800-736-6818. On my 92 Cpe there are two "teeth" on the strut mount bracket. One will provide increased torsion and could be used to provide some additional torsion w/o having to install the spoiler bars. Doing this would be of some benefit, but you would still have times when the trunk lid would not maintain enough lift. I am uncertain as to whether the bracket on the later G2s are similar.

If you have never removed/installed trunk torsion bars, pay someone else. You could be seriously injured.
Depending on the year of his Coupe, it may not have these extra notches. My 95 did NOT have these extra notches. I did not need them as I had the OEM spoiler, but when people started talking about it I checked with my 93, my friends 91, and my 95. My 95 is is flat in that area. Weird huh :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts