Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? I have used the search function before I posted, more people talk about the Venom 400.

Anyone have the S-AFC or ITC?

What are you opinions about them also what kind of performance gains?

Also DV8 had it before, but it got stolen, do you think it makes difference with the N2O?

:cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leon,

I know a few people has the Venom 400. And there is a little gian in performance, but I want to know more about the S-AFC, and the ITC because there adjustablility.

Anyone??

Thanks....

:cool:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hey, I can tune your AFC if you want... Leon- I scrapped my Venom - it's junk, and ever since I learned how to program my friend's AEM standalone unit, the AFC seems to be an unworthy alternative... If anyone needs help with AFC's, let me know... easy as pie!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
SAFC is a great little unit, and at $300 you really can't beat it, but for other people, mainly VTEC cars that are high-revving, it's not that hot... we found that out with my friend's S2000... but for the Legend, I know that the AFC works well, albeit a little messing with the ECU harness and playing with the unit... just lean it out, around 5-10% initially, esp on the top end, as the 3.2 runs extremely rich, and I mean VERY VERY rich on the topend... leaning out on idle will help torque also, as I've found out (note: I haven't used an SAFC on my Legend, but I have used them on an Accord, a Prelude, an S2000, and a Mitsubishi... worked very well, esp on the larger displacement engines...)

What's ITC? I feel ignorant, but I don't know what that is? Maybe it's just late and I'm stupid...

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
I had my S-AFC Dyno Tuned a while back and i got 1Whp and 3 Lbft.

Not much in my opinion, but enough to be satisfied with the amount of mods i use.

It was stolen in Jan. then quickly replaced to the programming i remembered. in fact the only settings that were adjusted were the hi throttle settings where it was leaned out up to -5%.
-5% being at 5,500RPM.

6spd,
Where are you getting the info that hondas are really rich in topend?
Are you basing those two conditions on Autometer air/fuel ratio guages?

Behind the bayou Chip its the next best, tunable unit you can get for the legend, especially when we all get headers.

The ITC is a timming controller. which advances or retards timming for you(dial tunable).

-too bad we can use it with our legend; the legends ecu already has a type of ITC controller built in. the computer is constantly adjusting the timming automatically,because of the Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) the Legend has. Using any ignitio altering device will conflict with the computer and screw things up.

I know because i used a MSD DIS 2 & 4 for about a year when i gave up on them. i was having constant problems with never any gain.

6spd,
Give me your Assumed Legend Settings for the S-AFC.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
DV8-

I have a Haltech A/F meter that I have used on my car, and it has always indicated a rich condition on topend, whether the car was floored or not... it seems above 4500, that the car (well, the ECU) wants to richen things up...

Settings that I would probably use if I installed the SAFC in my Legend would be -5% off idle-1500rpm (due to bogging, but then again, I've never really tried it on a non-vtec car, only my friend's Hondas with SOHC and DOCH VTEC), and my other friend's Mitsu, but that's a whole different story... but where was I? -5% off idle to help with a little of the bogging at lower RPM's, then leave it in the midrange, and then lean it out a tiny bit up top (not near redline, but say from 5500-6500 (with 6700 being the redline on the Type II's)...

Like I mentioned, I've never tuned it on a Legend before, but on the Prelude we had the best results, the Accord did ok, but not really that awesome, and the S2000 had some problems due to a flat spot in the VTEC engagement point that caused the car to richen, then lean, then richen when the crossover hit... pretty annoying, and it was finally something that we cured with extensive work with the AEM EMS... but that's a whole different story, as we're still getting the car to run right just now, and it's been installed for over 2 months... AEM just needs to get off their asses and get in gear with the updates that they send out, because some updates for fuel and ign. timing are all screwed up... along with the firing hold on the coil packs, which is what my friend found out tonight as he was sitting at a stoplight and the car loaded up with fuel and died, then didn't want to start back up again... really annoying, but the car is making real power, esp. with TODA cams just installed - the AEM really lets us take advantage of the cams, rather than the stock ECU...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
95Legend6spd,

How do you know these are the settings we should be using on the legend?

DV8, did you have any conflicts running it with the Bayou Chip?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Blk-

These are settings that I would generally start out with - they are just to begin tuning, as with my experience, when you jam on the gas in first gear, the car loads up with fuel, and if you're not careful, will bog, so leaning out a tiny bit has always helped while maintaining more or less stoichiometricity. I started most tuning this way, as Honda engines (well, all engines, from the factory) run a little on the rich side (or sometimes very rich) in order to help preserve the motor and protect it from detonation (better rich than lean... in terms of everyday use)... By using the AFC to lean it out, one is basically making a promise to the car to use 93 octane at all times, and to be careful (you're defaulting the manufacturer's settings for the majority, and choosing an explicit set for the minority - yourself)... With the AFC, if you're too lean, you'll know it, and it's esaier to correct. With a standalone unit, if you're too lean, you had better have a lambda meter or at least a good A/F to monitor the situation, or it could be Bye Bye to your motor in a very short time.

When we started with the AEM EMS on the S2K, we had to spend hours and hours just getting the ign. and fuel setup finished before hitting any higher RPM's, not to mention all the little things like when does the car open the thermostat? When does it need to turn on the fans? When does it need to load up on fuel? How much fuel does it need for starting, and what should that map be? What is the idle map going to be? How much advance should it have and at what RPM? How much fuel on the top end? Where should VTEC engage, and how much ign. and fuel should we give it? How much should be bump up the idle for accessories?

There are many, many factors to programming an external controller for your engine, but the AFC is an excellent alternative for the enthusiast who doesn't have $800.00 in "Dyno Money" to throw around... I would love to see someone order the Race Setup from AEM and put it on their Legend, as it would DEFINITELY make power, and alot of it. (S2K with basic mods and stock ECU put down 205RWHP first, then after tuning the AEM - just basic tuning, not really getting into the unit - the car made 224.5RWHP!!! Imagine this on a Legend!!!)

Someone buy the AEM - I'll help with it! It's a great investment, albeit it's around $1300, but you get more that you'll ever need to tune the car with. It'll be needed anyways if someone ever works out a real F.I. application for the Legend.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Leon-

A friend of mine had his 4.0 Ford Mustang Supercharged a few years aog... wow... and it was a V6... the shop is in ATL, can you find it? Sorry about not giving you more details, but that's all I could get out of him... If you can get the brackets made and the belts and piping run, and you buy an AEM EMS, I'll install and tune it for you, albeit you'll have some SERIOUS driveability problems for a while...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leon Millette said:
Sounds like a plan Chris...Liaslegend...I would like a turbo, but then again the SC may be better...which ever gains the most hp....
I prefer a turbo myself... even factoring in the lag... I'd prefer the boost to come from my exhaust and not monkeying around with my crank shaft.

I know your looking into parts for our legends but I know sooner or later you'll address FI so I'll just be patient and wait.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LiasLegend said:

I prefer a turbo myself... even factoring in the lag... I'd prefer the boost to come from my exhaust and not monkeying around with my crank shaft.

I know your looking into parts for our legends but I know sooner or later you'll address FI so I'll just be patient and wait.
A Turbo set up with a small shot of nos can help eliminte the lag...

:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
i knoe its possible to make a turbo or a SC but... how much am i going to spend it???????

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
get a small turbo and run it on the passenger side of the engine. theres big room over there. im getting a turbocharger and soon, after i fix this **** head gasket, i'll get stuff made so i can put it on. i found a nice sized turbo while i was at the junk yard hopefully nobody took it yet and im going to go remove it. AiResearch from a SAAB 9000

·
Registered
100 Posts
leon are you serious about the f.i. i am going to speak to kms tomm. morinnig i am in new york but over emails they told me they would love to do a f.i. on a legend n turn it into a blot on kit... well jus ideas... im def, down for it and your closer to them then me lol ... so maybee we can get a group buy on f.i. i perfer turbo but ill take a s.c. wateva makes bella fast.. thank you ...jon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts