Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to have a home built within the next 1 1/2 years. I have a general idea of what kind of house that I want. I need someone with true expertise to design it for me.

Anyone with that experience?

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
I only know one architect who visits these forums and that would be Denny Cheung (sp?) who posts as 95GS if I remember right. But he's up Baltimore way. Don't know if he works residential or commercial.

Depending on your budget besides an architect you should consider interior, lighting and kitchen designers. Start watching some of the home shows on PBS and TLC (Hometime does a lot of new builds while This Old House does renovations).

Just be sure to include a 6 car garage for your Legend collection.;)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Sounds exciting... I cant wait to buy my first house.

ALThough I cannot help you with any building advice, I can tell you about something one of my aunts did.

Everytime she read through a magazine and she saw a picture of something she liked, she would cut it out and put it into a scrap book. So if she saw a cool fireplace, a nice deck, a neat balcony, or a nicely shaped kitchen, the pictures would be cut out and put into a folder. When it was time for them to build, she brought a huge folder to the home builder and said "build me this."

That way you get a bit of everything, instead of a generic house that repeats itself every 5th house down the street in a different color.

Just a thought.... good luck.

:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks you guys.

I have torn pictures of rooms, decor, etc that I like. I have some specific request that I have not seen in magazines just yet.

As a comparison, the type of house I'm looking for, I've only seen in Malibu.........................5 mil plus. I want a smaller scale of one of those homes. Very abstract, very modern........are you feeling me?

I am going to continue to tear my pics out and keep the file. Oh Dave........6 car garage for the Legend collection.......FOR SURE!!!!!:)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Geez thx Dave for the promo-.

If you don't know any architect, contractor or interior designer friends, your best bet is to go to a local AIA (American Institute of Architects) chapter & ask. Almost all major cities have one.

They might give you a list of residential architects specializing in your area.
Next thing is basically interview the firm, get their brochure and see if you liked their work or not.

You also need to asked how involve do you want the architect to be liked in : picking the right contractor?, zoning issues? budgeting (cost estimate)? , construction administration process?

Of course the more the firm gets involved, the bigger the commission.
Usually the firms would be specialized in a particular styling as in traditional or comtempoary architecture.

Keep clipping from books or magazine since this is one way for the chosen architect to find out what inspired you.

email me if u have further ?
Danny
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts