Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was tearing down my old engine... the one that failed three days after the swap.

I noticed the oil pump wasn't aligned with it's timing marks in time with the crank shaft. In fact, it wasn't anywhere CLOSE.

So before I shoot myself in the head, would the oil pump not being "timed" cause the engine to fail the way it did? In case you don't remember/don't know, my symptoms were a lack of power below about 3k rpm when floored, then it seemed to come back to full power after 3500 rpm. Three days later, I'm cruising down the freeway and the engine starts clacking and the oil light flickers. By the time I pulled off, the engine was shaking and making a fuckload of noise. It wouldn't restart, the end.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
OMG springfield mo!!!!

·
One Meeelion HP
2,907 Posts
Naah, the balance shaft wouldn't have affected the engine in any way other than some vibrations. The oil pump is keyed right onto the end of the crankshaft before the timing and crank pulleys. Theres pretty much no way for it to not spin with the motor. Im guessing the gears inside of the pump were damaged from the shock of the accident.

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
One thing I have gathered from reading this forum over the years is that if you loose oil pressure in a 2nd Gen Legend you are in big trouble. Seems like if the oil pressure gets low enough to cause the light to come on the damage is already done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah you dont need to align the marks. you have to make sure that there is proper clearance for the oil pump. if its installed wrong then you can have trouble.
most cars when that oil light is on... you are pretty much screwed.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Most cars when the oil light(idiot light) comes on there's about 1 quart left in the engine!:rolleyes:

I was really amazed with wifes Monte Carlo. The oil light came on last week, I went, "OH SHIAT". Checked the oil, 1 qt low! Now that's good stuff!

·
Registered
94 Posts
u guys wanna know some thing sad i run my cb7 (90 accord 5 speed) with only one qt of oil at all times...... it wont hold the other 3 long enough...... ( didnt resurface the head...i was a rookie back then) but still runs like a champ!... i dont care anyways imma redo the head gasket job soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts